Oct 31, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
A flood of them on Wednesday: Dunga, former Brazil captain and head coach during World Cup 2010, turns 49; three-time Ballon d’Or-winner Marco van Basten turns 48; Manchester United defender and Ireland international Denis Irwin is 47; Real Madrid icon Guti turns 36; while former Germany goal machine Inka Grings is 34.
Big Important Story of the Day:
Major League Soccer’s 2012 postseason tournament starts today when one of last year’s finalists, the Houston Dynamo, visit the Chicago Fire. It’s the beginning of five straight days of playoff soccer taking us through San Jose’s Western Conference semifinal opener on Sunday.
Beyond MLS, Manchester United is back at Stamford Bridge for the second time in four days, with Chelsea and the Red Devils meeting in the Capital One Cup. In the wake of what’s alleged to have happened on Sunday, we can only hope for an incident-free affair.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day: Frankie Hejduk
Ahead on the blog today:
We’ll have more on what’s ahead for U.S. Soccer and Tom Sermanni, a preview of Thursday’s Major League Soccer knockout match between Vancouver and Los Angeles, the result from Stamford Bridge as well as coverage of the events at Toyota Park.
What we should be watching on TV:
ESPN2 has the MLS honors tonight, with a 9:00 p.m. Eastern kickoff in Chicago. Before that, if you have access to beIN Sport, Chelsea and Manchester United will kickoff at 3:40 p.m. Eastern.
PST background noise while blogging today:
Nashville would not be my tumbler of brew if it weren’t for Friday Night Lights. Seeing Connie Britton in the show image on Hulu made me wonder what Tami Taylor’s up to now. I don’t know how I feel about the show yet, but I did click on Episode 2.
We’ll leave you with this:
Houston had a +19 goal difference at BBVA Compass Stadium this season. Only San Jose and D.C. United performed better at home. Unfortunately for the Dynamo, tonight’s do-or-die game is on the road, where they’re -12. Among playoff teams, only Vancouver was less productive away from home.
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 4
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 29 0
- MLS Preview: Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting Kansas City 0
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keeps Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Clash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record
- Captain America to Visit Chivas USA
- Lockout Virus Continues, MLS to Start 2014 with Replacement Refs
- Revs To Rely on Intensity, Depth in Opener vs. Dynamo
- Three Keys & One Standout for Toronto FC
- The John Strong Interview. Part 1 - MLS 2014
- Gonzalo Pineda: ''Playing Outside of Mexico Has Always Been a Goal''