Oct 31, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
A flood of them on Wednesday: Dunga, former Brazil captain and head coach during World Cup 2010, turns 49; three-time Ballon d’Or-winner Marco van Basten turns 48; Manchester United defender and Ireland international Denis Irwin is 47; Real Madrid icon Guti turns 36; while former Germany goal machine Inka Grings is 34.
Big Important Story of the Day:
Major League Soccer’s 2012 postseason tournament starts today when one of last year’s finalists, the Houston Dynamo, visit the Chicago Fire. It’s the beginning of five straight days of playoff soccer taking us through San Jose’s Western Conference semifinal opener on Sunday.
Beyond MLS, Manchester United is back at Stamford Bridge for the second time in four days, with Chelsea and the Red Devils meeting in the Capital One Cup. In the wake of what’s alleged to have happened on Sunday, we can only hope for an incident-free affair.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day: Frankie Hejduk
Ahead on the blog today:
We’ll have more on what’s ahead for U.S. Soccer and Tom Sermanni, a preview of Thursday’s Major League Soccer knockout match between Vancouver and Los Angeles, the result from Stamford Bridge as well as coverage of the events at Toyota Park.
What we should be watching on TV:
ESPN2 has the MLS honors tonight, with a 9:00 p.m. Eastern kickoff in Chicago. Before that, if you have access to beIN Sport, Chelsea and Manchester United will kickoff at 3:40 p.m. Eastern.
PST background noise while blogging today:
Nashville would not be my tumbler of brew if it weren’t for Friday Night Lights. Seeing Connie Britton in the show image on Hulu made me wonder what Tami Taylor’s up to now. I don’t know how I feel about the show yet, but I did click on Episode 2.
We’ll leave you with this:
Houston had a +19 goal difference at BBVA Compass Stadium this season. Only San Jose and D.C. United performed better at home. Unfortunately for the Dynamo, tonight’s do-or-die game is on the road, where they’re -12. Among playoff teams, only Vancouver was less productive away from home.
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snags wins 0
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles 0
- Arsenal 2-0 Hull City: Bendtner and Ozil keep Gunners top 0
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw 17
- How well did Major League Soccer’s format work in 2013? Few qualms with this year’s results 8
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Here’s how it’s going to work 1
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (17)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (17)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)