Nov 4, 2012, 2:31 PM EST
HOUSTON – The Houston Dynamo and Brian Ching are about as inextricably linked as the Houston Dynamo and the color orange.
In terms of players and coaches, only one man has been a part of the organization longer than Ching, and that is manager Dominic Kinnear. Ching has been with the organization literally longer than the club has been around in its current incarnation.
Ching joined San Jose in 2003 and moved to Houston three years later when that organization evolved into the Dynamo.
The longtime MLS and U.S. international striker came into 2012 expecting this to be his final season; injuries and general wear and tire on the tires – Ching was ever willing to throw his body selflessly into the human mash-ups – has reduced Ching, 34, to a substitute’s role this year. He has been a great man to bring off the bench late, it should be said.
At any rate, if Ching and the Dynamo cannot get past Kansas City in the Eastern Conference semifinal, which kicks off at 3:30 p.m. ET today, this could mark his last appearance in his adopted home town.
One thing that I’d miss probably the most is being around the guys every day. It’s a young bunch of guys having fun, doing a sport we love. I think that lifestyle is what I’ll probably miss the most and what I’ll need to adjust to. I think just by the fact that I’ve been thinking about it and semi-planning about it, I think it will help me a little. …But I don’t think it’s something that’s going to be easy.”
- MLS Cup preview: Real Salt Lake meets Sporting Kansas City to decide Major League Soccer’s 18th championship 0
- USA’s World Cup opponents: What to expect from Germany, Portugal and Ghana 6
- World Cup 2014: Group analysis from Soccerly.com 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues 14
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (21)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (14)