Nov 4, 2012, 10:36 PM EDT
HOUSTON – Hard to say which way the rest factor would go in Sporting Kansas City’s visit to Houston for Sunday’s Eastern Conference semifinal opening leg. Sporting Kansas City was coming off an 11-day layoff; Houston had just three full days of rest to prep for this one.
So, did the layoff hurt Peter Vermes’ side? The Sporting Kansas City manager was having none of it. He credited Houston’s tactics, energy and ability to score two goals in a real scrapper of a match. He also said peripheral elements like heat – it was warm and a bit muggy, about like you get in Houston – the small field and less-than-ideal layoffs are just part of the game.
Said Vermes: “We don’t have any excuses. It is what it is. We just have to get on with the next game. They got the result at their place and now we have to go and do the same at our place.”
VIDEO: Can Kansas City comeback?This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Report: Aston Villa ownership will change hands if club stays up 0
- Tim Howard inks Everton extension, signs through 2017-18 season 1
- Premier League Power Rankings: Liverpool or Chelsea for the title? – Week 34 0
- Neymar, Jordi Alba to miss the rest of Barcelona’s season 1
- Manchester: A city not united, as Blue and Red converge 2
- PST Extra: Race for the Premier League title 0