Nov 5, 2012, 11:25 AM EDT
Crowd counts at six MLS playoff contests so far have ranged from wholly disappointing to fairly impressive. Let’s take a look:
Chicago Fire’s Toyota Park: Major League Soccer’s 17th playoff season opened with a bit of a dog, as a national TV audience saw empty seats aplenty from a crowd of 10,923. Everyone around the league cringed at that one. It underscored two points: the league has not advanced to a place where mid-week matches can content with weekend contests in terms of ability to sell. And, speaking of sell, having just three days to push tickets clearly put Chicago staff behind the marketing and sales 8 ball.
Los Angeles Galaxy’s Home Depot Center: Los Angeles’ home ground hosted two contest, beginning with last week’s elimination match against Vancouver, which drew a disappointing 14,703. There was some confusion about an important point here. Yes, mid-week matches at the HDC generally have a cap related to its agreement with Cal State Dominguez Hills. But the restrictive cap was lifted, so this was just a fairly weak link.
Sunday’s match helped redeem things; it was a sellout at 27,000.
Seattle Sounders’ CenturyLink Field: Leave it to Seattle to pull the league’s attendance wagon out of a ditch. Friday’s crowd (for MLS post-season Match No. 3) was exactly what we all expect from the league’s far-and-away crowd-count leader: a down-sized sellout of 34,941. Atta boy, ye rave green faithful. We knew we could count on you!
D.C. United’s RFK Stadium: Great to see a little bounce back in RFK Stadium, where attendance has suffered along with a team that missed the playoffs four years running. Saturday’s match drew a lively 17,556; it was very old school DCU that way. Let’s hope the high-energy and encouraging numbers seen on a chilly Saturday becomes the new new-normal around the club’s venerable old ground.
Houston Dynamo’s BBVA Compass Stadium: Not a completely full house at the very orange downtown grounds, but not bad, all things considered. Competing against the NFL’s Houston Texans (having a great season and playing just across town) on a fall Sunday is challenging, especially given such a short sell window for the soccer club. The only big patch of seats left unfilled were high behind the north goal. The official total of 20,689 apparently counted tickets unused, but the vocal crowd made for a swell atmosphere.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:44 PM EDT
Confederations Cup completely worth it when it provides matches like these.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT
There’re no shortage of players to praise after the U.S. completes a nine-out-of-nine run.
Jun 19, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
Most U.S. players were still in the locker room an hour after final whistle Tuesday … watching a basketball game. Hmmm.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:58 PM EDT
Even while struggling, LA’s still the standard, but can they turn things around enough to keep Portland from the top of the West.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:25 PM EDT
Neymar’s show compounded problems for CONCACAF’s champions.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT
The 42-year-old American revealed he is taking coaching courses to prepare for whenever his career is over.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
Some of those old issues of communication and understanding between Jones and Michael Bradley were on display once again in Utah:
Jun 19, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
Montréal can open a gap atop the East with a win tonight. If Houston springs the upset, they’ll be within one point of the conference leaders.
Jun 19, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
He didn’t exactly say much, but Pepe Reina’s club is Liverpool – at least, right now.
Jun 19, 2013, 12:04 PM EDT
Cameras caught a message from Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea, could it foreshadow a move?
Jun 19, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
Fabio Capello is the latest manager to say “no” to the defending Ligue 1 champions.
Jun 19, 2013, 10:23 AM EDT
Liverpool take a huge net loss on the 24-year-old while West Ham set their transfer fee record.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT
Tragedy struck Chivas USA’s youth squad Monday night.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
At the call of fans and media alike, the FA Cup final at Wembley will return to its post-league date.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:35 AM EDT
The United States had the perfect lineup to slowly whittle away at the Honduras defense before it finally broke.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:45 AM EDT
The 24-year-old American has found a new team after spending 5 seasons at Villa Park.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:08 AM EDT
The Premier League has released its fixture list for the 2013/2014 season in its entirety. Find out the opening fixtures plus your favorite team’s derby here!
Jun 19, 2013, 2:00 AM EDT
Feel free to ask yourself at this point: where would the United States be in World Cup qualifying without its young, in-form striker:
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 0
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 0
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- MLS Preview: Houston Dynamo at Montréal Impact 0
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public