Nov 5, 2012, 1:48 AM EDT
For as much success as Sporting Kansas City’s had over the last two years – and as two-time reigning Eastern Conference champions, they’ve had a lot of success – Peter Vermes’ team has no clue what to do with Houston. In their last five meetings with the Dynamo (a span stretching back one year), Sporting is 0-3-2 against Dominic Kinnear’s team, scoring only two goals in that time. Since 2007 (20 meetings), Kansas City’s beat Houston twice.
Sporting didn’t come close to bettering that record on Sunday. In the first leg of the teams’ Eastern Conference semifinal, Kansas City managed only one shot on goal, falling behind in the 18th minute en route to a 2-0 loss.
Here are the highlights:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The second leg kicks off Wednesday at 9:00 p.m. Eastern in Kansas City, where Houston has earned a draw in each of their last two appearances. When Houston’s not in town, Kansas City’s 10-3-3 at Livestrong Sporting Park.
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes