Nov 7, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT
Word out of Chicago this morning that defender Arne Friedrich has been re-signed for another season at Toyota Park is welcome news for the following:
- For the Fire, who will benefit from the veteran leadership of a well-liked figure and someone who, at age 33, still has plenty left to offer from a competitive standpoint. If we ranked the league’s center backs this year, Friedrich would be top 5 on many lists, and top 10 on all of them (assuming people are paying attention.)
- For young center back Austin Berry, who will benefit from another season of tutelage under a man who now only understands how to mentor someone, but who also understands that it’s part of his job. Berry told me earlier this year he absolutely has an obligation to nurture the club’s younger talent; his commitment to that cause is a big reason Berry is the frontrunner for Rookie of the Year.
- For journalists who enjoy an informative interview from a someone who is also a nice and classy fellow.
- Preview: Early cycle friendly shelves normal questions for U.S. national team’s return 1
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – The faith-destroying edition 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: LA Galaxy’s Landon Donovan 0
- What tomorrow’s goalkeeper platoon tells us about the U.S. goalkeeper void 6
- Jozy Altidore to captain U.S. Wednesday against Czech Republic 1
- With Radamel Falcao, can Manchester United challenge for the Premier League? 14