Nov 7, 2012, 10:55 AM EDT
The East Coast weather has gone all rouge and nasty on us again.
About the deteriorating conditions for tonight’s Eastern Conference semifinal second leg at Red Bull Arena: Let’s go with “far less than ideal.”
When D.C. United kicks off against the New York Red Bulls in New Jersey, with the high-profile total goals series all level, forecasts call for a rain/snow mix – no weather news is ever really welcome when the word “mix” is part of the text – along with high winds and temperatures in the 30s.
So, who benefits?
Always tough to say because there is such a factor of the unknown in these things. But let’s give it a try: Best guess is this will assist D.C. United.
Why? New York is a talented side, no question. But the success usually emanates from the technically gifted silkiness of fellows like Thierry Henry, Rafa Marquez, Heath Pearce and others. There is certainly some toughness and bite (Joel Lindpere and Tim Cahill, for instance.) But mostly, manager Hans Backe built the roster around skillful types.
D.C. United has a couple more “mudders,” men like Marcelo Saragosa, Chris Pontius and Brandon McDonald. That’s not to impugn the skill of anyone (especially Pontius, who has ample technical craft in his personal tool belt).
Point is, in a match that might be more about fortitude and want-to, United has an edge. New York’s most prominent missing ingredient, as I’ve said before, is a bit more desire and urgency. If the conditions turn out as awful as it seems, dogged determination could rule the night.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:35 AM EDT
The United States had the perfect lineup to slowly whittle away at the Honduras defense before it finally broke.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:45 AM EDT
The 24-year-old American has found a new team after spending 5 seasons at Villa Park.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:08 AM EDT
The Premier League has released its fixture list for the 2013/2014 season in its entirety. Find out the opening fixtures plus your favorite team’s derby here!
Jun 19, 2013, 2:00 AM EDT
Feel free to ask yourself at this point: where would the United States be in World Cup qualifying without its young, in-form striker:
Jun 18, 2013, 11:54 PM EDT
Jozy Altidore was the hero for the United States, cooly slotting a left-footed shot to hand the Stars & Stripes a 1-0 victory over Honduras.
Jun 18, 2013, 8:33 PM EDT
The LA Galaxy coach has taken aging players and made them useful parts of the roster before:
Jun 18, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
Everyone loves “The Pope”
Jun 18, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Our weekly re-ordering of Major League Soccer teams, following 16 rounds of play:
Jun 18, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
Some of the best U.S. success in the past has come when the United States was backed into a corner. Tonight looks much different:
Jun 18, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
There are a few choices to be made ahead of Tuesday’s match in Utah:
Jun 18, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Unsaid in this narrative is this: most U.S. sites are bright and alive these days.
Jun 18, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
Stuart Pearce has been relieved of his duties as manager of England’s U-21 squad.
Jun 18, 2013, 9:34 AM EDT
Australia join Brazil and Japan as nations that already have booked their place in next summer’s World Cup.
Jun 18, 2013, 7:56 AM EDT
Hearts have put the entire squad up for sale to raise the reported £500,000 needed to get the club to the start of the season.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public