Nov 7, 2012, 8:37 PM EDT
Just minutes ago, I sent a text message to MLS executive vice president of communications Dan Courtemanche regarding the absolutely awful conditions at Red Bull Arena, where snow re-covers the field as fast as dozens of men and women and with shovels cannot clear it.
As of 8:32 p.m. ET, MLS officials were still trying hard to play the match.
Courtemanche told me MLS officials, including commissioner Don Garber on site, have discussed a variety of options, including further delay tonight and playing the match tomorrow:
Here’s what Courtemanche subsequently sent via email:
After careful review and consultation with the participating clubs and local officials the past few days, Major League Soccer decided to move forward with playing tonight’s Red Bulls – D.C. United match at Red Bull Arena as scheduled.
Soccer is a sport that traditionally plays through adverse weather conditions, provided that the safety of the players, fans and staff is not unduly put at risk.
Red Bull Arena is a state-of-the-art facility that features a roof that covers all seating for spectators.
We are working closely with the national weather service to monitor the storm system affecting the area today.”
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers 5
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 7
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 24
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (24)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final