Nov 8, 2012, 2:58 PM EST
Well, there’s a familiar name.
The man on his new appointment: “I’m excited to be part of the rebirth of the New York Cosmos. Seamus O’Brien and the rest of the board have a vision to build a proper soccer club in New York. We have a great legacy to live up to and I’m eager to get started right away.”
Why Stover? And why now?
Well, he specializes in making things happen. You know, like getting massive stadiums built and recruiting superstars to young leagues.
While working for the Red Bulls, Stover oversaw the construction and operation of Red Bull Arena, a $200 million state-of-the-art soccer stadium in Harrison, N.J. He also successfully recruited international soccer superstar Thierry Henry to come to MLS in July of 2010. When Stover left the Red Bulls in August of 2011, they had risen from the bottom of MLS in attendance to No. 4, which included a 150 percent increase in season ticket holders. For his accomplishments, he was honored with the 2010 MLS Executive of the Year Award.
Yeah, I can see how the Cosmos — a team desperate to get into MLS and (potentially, probably) working with the league on its fancy new Queens stadium — could use someone with exactly Stover’s skillset.
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 5
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"