Nov 9, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT
With the league semifinals set, one of the most intriguing questions to languish through Major League Soccer’s 17th season is tantalizingly close to a resolution:
Where will the league’s championship decider be held?
This year, the most significant playoff modification in MLS history replaced the traditional method of selecting a venue well in advance. Once the two finalists were decided on the field, the team with the better regular season record would host.
So going into the playoffs, nine of 10 teams had a theoretical chance of hosting the Nov. 10 date. Going into the conference semifinals, seven of eight teams still had the some hope of the opportunity.
Now it’s down to D.C. United, Los Angeles and Seattle. And the scenarios today are far less tangled.
- If United prevails in its Eastern Conference semifinal, Major League Soccer’s 17th championship match will happen inside historic RFK Stadium in the nation’s capital. RFK hosted the 2007 contest (won, ironically, by Houston).
- If Houston eliminates United over their two-leg series, then the winner between Seattle and Los Angeles in the West will determine MLS Cup 2012’s site. Since both Western Conference finalists finished with better records than Houston, only the Dynamo among this foursome has no opportunity to host.
Los Angeles hosted last year’s championship contest; Seattle was the site for MLS Cup 2009. So, both cities have recent experience at managing the event.
Aug 23, 2014, 1:09 AM EDT
The Blues are heavy favorites to stay perfect through two rounds.
Aug 23, 2014, 12:41 AM EDT
With one game per week, Chelsea’s players have a chance to settle into their roles.
Aug 23, 2014, 12:05 AM EDT
Two goals while playing with 10 send Dallas joint-top of the Western Conference.
Aug 22, 2014, 9:51 PM EDT
The league’s second round kicks off at Villa Park and ends with the main event on Merseyside.
Aug 22, 2014, 9:12 PM EDT
List of things Cristiano Ronaldo can’t do: Throw a proper punch.
Aug 22, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Dallas is undefeated since May, while RSL has a chance to temporarily move clear atop the Western Conference.
Aug 22, 2014, 7:17 PM EDT
Dallas versus Real Salt Lake, Sporting hosting D.C. see the conferences’ best go head-to-head.
Aug 22, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
Early Mandzukic goal gives Atlético its fifth trophy under Simeone.
Aug 22, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Toffees and Gunners clash, Liverpool head to Man City, London derby time and much more.
Aug 22, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT
Goal, assist from Dutch star helped deliver Bayern three points to open the Bundesliga season.
Aug 22, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Can Villa continue their good start to the season? Watch live, Saturday 7:45 a.m. ET on NBCSN.
Aug 22, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
Birmingham City, 1860 Munich, Millwall, Nurnberg… it seems Brek Shea is a man in demand when it comes to his loan from Stoke City.
Aug 22, 2014, 2:48 PM EDT
The Bavarians added Robert Lewandowski, and look poised to lead again. Who are the favorites to emerge in the race for second?
Aug 22, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT
Matchweek 2 brings a few killer games including Everton v. Arsenal on Saturday and Manchester City v. Liverpool on Monday.
Aug 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
From the early days in Italy, to the craziness of Man City and then back to AC Milan, here’s the timeline of Balotelli’s life so far.
Aug 22, 2014, 2:03 PM EDT
The 19-year-old American attacker’s only senior appearance for Bayern was a Champions League sub. That could change today.
Aug 22, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Probably not, but with Sevilla and Barcelona strengthening while Atletico deals with roster tumult, look for some changes near the top.
Aug 22, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
PSV Eindhoven called the police, upping the ante on the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.
Aug 22, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
Where and how to watch every single PL game in Week 2, right here.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT
A young Brazilian is the newest name linked with Louis van Gaal, while Manchester City could be selling a top young defender
- MLS Snapshot: FC Dallas 2-1 Real Salt Lake 0
- MLS Weekend Preview: Trio of marque marquee matches begins Friday in Frisco 0
- Early Mandzukic goal sees Atlético defeat Real Madrid, claim Spanish Super Cup 1
- Robben dominance, Malanda miss give Bayern opening match win over Wolfsburg 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: United to get it right, Arsenal to stumble 2
- Profile: The life and times of Mario Balotelli 0