Nov 10, 2012, 8:30 AM EDT
Though our soccer Saturday is just starting, the day is well underway in Asia, where the AFC have crowned a new confederation champion. And thanks to one of the goal celebrations, we also got confirmation that Gangnam Style is still a thing. Thanks for that, Rafinha.
The Brazilian attacker, who scored the day’s second goal, helped complete South Korea’s Ulsan Hyundai’s remarkable run to their first confederation title. In front of 42,153 at the Big Crown in Ulsan, last year’s K-League runners-up got goals from Korean international defender Kwak Taw-Hwi (13′), Rafinha (67′), and winger Kim Seung-Yong (76′) en route to a surprisingly easy 3-0 win over Saudi Arabia’s Al-Ahli.
The win culminated an amazing 10-0-2 run by Ulsan, with the team overcoming a slow start to blast their way through the last half of the competition. Once done with their East Asian competition (after the Round of 16), Ulsan posted +12 goal difference over the tournament’s last three round. They closed the competition with nine straight wins.
Along the way, Ulsan became the seventh different Korean team to win an Asian title, the third to claim the crown in the last four years. A K-League team has appeared in eight of the last 12 finals.
Forward Lee Keun-Ho, in his first season with Ulsan after five years in Japan, was named tournament MVP, with Kwak earning the honors for the final game.
Here are the highlights. Whoop `em Ulsan Style.
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 12
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 28
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 7
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (28)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (12)
- More on Landon Donovan and the U.S. national team roster (11)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team