Nov 11, 2012, 9:07 AM EST
The signature touchstones of Major League Soccer’s 2012 playoffs to this point have included big weather, big upsets and big performance from the men guarding goal.
So let’s look quickly at the foursome of starting backstoppers remaining as the teams make final prep for today’s conference finals opening legs. In fact, let’s rank them:
1. Seattle’s Sounders Michael Gspurning: The veteran Austrian was among the league’s best this year, even edging Kansas City’s Jimmy Nielsen for best goals-against average (0.73). More than the numbers, of course, he’s essentially been a rock of stability behind a defense that’s only been stable-ish.
His performance in the series against Real Salt Lake was flawless, even if we talked more about the other fellow, Real Salt Lake’s Nick Rimando, whose exceptional night in Seattle overshadowed Gspurning’s good work. Still, he’s been everything they need.
2. Houston’s Tally Hall: The playoffs have never been a problem for Hall, who is still in only his second year as an MLS starter. Houston’s big 2011 playoff run began with Hall’s remarkable 10-save performance as the Dynamo upset Philadelphia at PPL Park. (That was his first post-season match; not bad, eh?)
This year, Hall has done little wrong in allowing two goals in three matches. One bad choice to hurry out of goal got dicey in the Dynamo win over Sporting K.C. in Houston, but he’s generally been squeaky clean otherwise.
3. L.A. Galaxy’s Josh Saunders: The Galaxy was clearly better in 2012 with their starting man in goal, having suffered measurably as Saunders missed a chunk in mid-season due to personal reasons. Down the stretch, however, the 31-year-old Oregonian has not been at his best. There has been a wobble here and there, and then we all saw that ball he let wiggle free against San Jose. In the end, it didn’t crater the Galaxy playoff ambitions, but it certainly can’t add to the stores of confidence for Saunders (or his teammates).
4. D.C. United’s Bill Hamid / Joe Willis: Hamid, United’s young starter, is struggling. So perhaps it’s just as well that Willis, Hamid’s young backup (although not quite as young) will guard goal today as Hamid sits out his mandatory one-game red card suspension. (Oh, and never Tweet while angry, young man. It’s unbecoming, and you should know better.)
Dec 12, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Unless a player lifts his shirt over his head, you may never see Intel’s contribution to Barcelona’s uniforms.
Where They Stand: Europa League’s 32 knockout round teams (and their potential effect on UEFA’s coefficients)
Dec 12, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
Italy and Ukraine could see big boosts to their coefficients, with each federation placing four teams in Europa’s knockout rounds.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
How close is PRP to blood doping? Close enough to get the Premier League’s attention.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:02 PM EST
The two-time Defender of the Year rejoins former Crew boss Sigi Schmid in Seattle.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:09 PM EST
The Dash join the Portland Thorns as MLS-backed teams in women’s league.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
Recovery timeline could leave Portland winger passed over by Costa Rica.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Like other notable quality American outfielders (e.g. Clint Dempsey), Cameron is a late-developer who has really evolved.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:38 PM EST
D.C. United upgraded half their defense on Thursday. But what are they getting for the money?
Dec 12, 2013, 3:38 PM EST
We saw this coming. Portland traded up on Thursday to snare the former Zip.
Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018
Dec 12, 2013, 3:01 PM EST
Klinsmann’s signed up for another cycle, the U.S. hoping to extend its evolution beyond Brazil.
Dec 12, 2013, 2:01 PM EST
This marks the first time a Bundesliga club has played in the league’s summer showcase.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:05 PM EST
Two big questions this weekend: 1) Can Spurs stop Luis Suarez? and
2) Does City’s midfield rival that of Arsenal?
Dec 12, 2013, 10:26 AM EST
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, Young says, but “for me, the referees have made decisions and that’s it.”
Dec 12, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
Would Moyes really loan Zaha to a competitor like Everton or Newcastle?
Dec 12, 2013, 8:01 AM EST
When looking back at the biggest UK Twitter “surges” of 2013 there is one topic that dominates the landscape: footy.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:46 PM EST
You can’t been drawn against a team from your own federation – a rule that will hurt Arsenal, Manchester City on Monday.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 PM EST
The defenses need to get better in both places. A lot better:
No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11
Dec 11, 2013, 9:23 PM EST
A little social media brush fire over the new Miami expansion outfit was promptly, mercifully extinguished:
Dec 11, 2013, 8:33 PM EST
Highlights from all Wednesday’s games, which saw Barça’s newest start break out, Italy’s reigning champions eliminated.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:46 PM EST
Once you narrow the list to 15 or so, it’s nearly impossible to decide from there:
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 2
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park