Nov 12, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
Funny thing about Sunday’s contest down in Houston – about so many contests, in so many different sports – is how one moment could have reversed the entire narrative.
Fans from D.C. United are spending lots of time today debating the big deficit, the big call, the dead-legged circumstances of it all and the Black and Red’s chances of a big rally in the coming second leg of the Eastern Conference finals.
But what if this moment had turned out differently?
What if Lionard Pajoy’s 67th minute shot had not been cleared? What if Houston center back Bobby Boswell hadn’t put himself in just the right spot? What would a 2-1 score at that point have done for all of the above?
That’s what this Houston Chronicle story talks about. It includes some words of praise from Boswell’s central partner, Andrew Hainault.
Just when you think they’ve broken us a little bit, we’ve got someone who drops back and reads the play well and just was in the right spot. Bobby got that ball out, and I think that lifted us, because it was a big turning point.”
It certainly was. United was absolutely dead at that point. In fact, about 10 minutes earlier I had put on Twitter that both teams were looking tired. Truth is, United looked exhausted.
But we know about DCU’s tough ambition and dogged ways. Would it shock anyone if a goal at that point might have inspired a little more, perhaps squeezed even more from the weary, tired bodies of the visitors? Could they have held on and taken a one-goal lead back to RFK?
We haven’t talked much about Boswell’s defensive giant – but maybe we should have.
Here’s a look at Boswell’s massive moment:
- FIFA presidential elections will go on Friday despite arrests 3
- FBI, US Department of Justice issues damning statement on FIFA, details corruption investigation 5
- FIFA fallout continues: Swiss authorities open criminal proceedings into allocation of 2018, 2022 World Cups 3
- Nine FIFA officials, including CONCACAF president, arrested in Switzerland during dawn raids 16
- Report: Multiple FIFA officials arrested in Zurich, will be extradited to United States 8
- Mourinho rips Top 4 rivals at awards dinner; Takes extra shot at Wenger’s Arsenal 3