Nov 13, 2012, 7:34 PM EDT
At this point, it’s hard to say whether Hope Solo is the kind of person who is not happy unless she’s in the spotlight, the kind who craves and cultivates drama or …
If she’s something more sympathetic, the kind of person who simply cannot stop herself from making poor choices, the kind who has that innate propensity to stumble over life’s trip wires.
Either way, news broke today that will add more to Solo’s long dossier of personal tangles. This one seems to have taken root from getting involved with a person who, as some wiser, older mentor might say, “is nothing but trouble.” The incident has told us something about Solo’s current personal life, but left the more important questions of some very serious legal matters unanswered.
What we know is …
- That former NFL tight end Jerramy Stevens, who has a lengthy history of legal issues, was arrested Tuesday in an incident involving Solo. Stevens appeared in a Seattle court on Tuesday afternoon and was quickly released for lack of evidence connecting Stevens to an assault.
- We know now that Solo, 31, is apparently engaged to be married to Stevens.
- We know that Stevens looks like one really bad fellow. Truly, the number of awful incidents, arrests and “second chances” is stunning and probably does not speak well of how we treat star athletes.
- We know the truth is always somewhat elusive, with frequently varying versions, whenever the U.S. goalkeeper is involved.
- We know that new U.S. women’s manager Tom Sermanni has a little more to deal with today than he did yesterday. “Welcome to your new office, Tom. Now, I’m afraid we have a little something to talk about …”
Past that, regarding today’s events in Seattle, we need facts and investigation of the latest incident before rushing to any conclusions about the latest swirl of drama, more drama around a figure who seems habitually attracted to it.
- Premier League Playback – Deadline Day madness, Chelsea’s ‘killers,’ Liverpool’s fluid-three 0
- LIVE Transfer Ticker – Deadline Day updates 1
- Reports: Manchester United nearing cut-price loan for Falcao 5
- Toronto FC fire Ryan Nelsen thanks to disappointing position and disparaging comments 1
- Leicester City 1-1 Arsenal: Home side holds strong for draw 3
- Done deal: Chelsea sign Loic Remy from QPR 0