Nov 13, 2012, 7:34 PM EST
At this point, it’s hard to say whether Hope Solo is the kind of person who is not happy unless she’s in the spotlight, the kind who craves and cultivates drama or …
If she’s something more sympathetic, the kind of person who simply cannot stop herself from making poor choices, the kind who has that innate propensity to stumble over life’s trip wires.
Either way, news broke today that will add more to Solo’s long dossier of personal tangles. This one seems to have taken root from getting involved with a person who, as some wiser, older mentor might say, “is nothing but trouble.” The incident has told us something about Solo’s current personal life, but left the more important questions of some very serious legal matters unanswered.
What we know is …
- That former NFL tight end Jerramy Stevens, who has a lengthy history of legal issues, was arrested Tuesday in an incident involving Solo. Stevens appeared in a Seattle court on Tuesday afternoon and was quickly released for lack of evidence connecting Stevens to an assault.
- We know now that Solo, 31, is apparently engaged to be married to Stevens.
- We know that Stevens looks like one really bad fellow. Truly, the number of awful incidents, arrests and “second chances” is stunning and probably does not speak well of how we treat star athletes.
- We know the truth is always somewhat elusive, with frequently varying versions, whenever the U.S. goalkeeper is involved.
- We know that new U.S. women’s manager Tom Sermanni has a little more to deal with today than he did yesterday. “Welcome to your new office, Tom. Now, I’m afraid we have a little something to talk about …”
Past that, regarding today’s events in Seattle, we need facts and investigation of the latest incident before rushing to any conclusions about the latest swirl of drama, more drama around a figure who seems habitually attracted to it.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:20 AM EST
Do the Gunners have themselves to blame? Or were the Toffees just too good?
Dec 9, 2013, 9:48 AM EST
Shock horror, Ronaldo and Messi go head-to-head for Ballon d’Or….
Dec 9, 2013, 9:14 AM EST
Ex-Premier League striker among those questioned as investigation continues:
Dec 9, 2013, 7:49 AM EST
Who gets your vote? Sit back, relax and watch some stunners from Osvaldo, Assaidi, Cabaye and others:
Dec 8, 2013, 11:54 PM EST
The one commonality among both stars’ groups: Almost none of their opponents have good defensive records.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:48 PM EST
Unbeaten in three, Spurs have turned things around since their loss at Manchester City.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:44 PM EST
KANSAS CITY, Kan. — The difference between missed opportunities and bad luck.
Dec 8, 2013, 8:45 PM EST
Fulham decided it early against Aston Villa, while Giroud was denied late at The Emirates.
Dec 8, 2013, 7:40 PM EST
KANSAS CITY, Kan. — Collin, Feilhaber, Findley and Schuler may have changed the way we see their careers.
Pulis vs. Allardyce; Crystal Palace vs. West Ham: Earle, Mustoe talk diverging paths of Eagles, Hammers (video)
Dec 8, 2013, 6:38 PM EST
NBC Sports’ analysts consider what’s going right in the South, wrong in the East.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:43 PM EST
New depths for Moyes, Everton continues to convince, and perspective required for Chelsea’s, City’s stumbles.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:51 PM EST
Roma’s enormous win, fueled by Mattia Destro’s winner in his season debut, gave the Giallorossi a vital three to keep pace with Juventus and extend their distance from Napoli.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:23 PM EST
Wenger believes consistency will be the key, but can Arsenal learn from previous campaigns and not shot themselves in the foot?
Dec 8, 2013, 12:59 PM EST
Mesut Ozil gave Arsenal the lead with just 10 minutes to go, but Gerard Deulofeu broke Arsenal fans hearts not long after.
Dec 8, 2013, 11:47 AM EST
The North London Derby gets a third chapter this season as the two sides will face off in the FA Cup third round. See the complete draw results here:
Dec 8, 2013, 10:33 AM EST
Dimitar Berbatov looked like a changed man and Steve Sidwell scored as well to give Fulham their first win in seven weeks.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:31 AM EST
Arsene Wenger has the Gunners flying high at the top of the league, with a chance for another impressive win against Everton to put them 7 points clear.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:14 AM EST
Fulham are well on their way to ending a run of six consecutive defeats.
Dec 8, 2013, 8:36 AM EST
It’s slowly coming out that David Moyes has been keeping an eye on summer target Kevin Strootman of Roma.
Dec 8, 2013, 7:50 AM EST
Can Rene Meulensteen breathe life into Dimitar Berbatov and a weary Fulham squad, or will it be Villa’s away day magic that continues to shine bright at Craven Cottage?
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)