Nov 13, 2012, 5:04 PM EDT
What a nice 12 months it has been in domestic soccer for diversity and progress. In terms of culture, two of the big stories during the last year were former Major League Soccer player David Testo coming out and U.S. Olympian Megan Rapinoe coming out shortly before the 2012 London Games.
And how about this to punctuate a swell period of progress: Rapinoe was just honored by the LA Gay and Lesbian Center during last weekend’s Anniversary Gala.
Rapinoe received the center’s Board of Directors Award for coming out as a high-profile athlete, and for counting herself among the few outwardly gay competitors during the London Olympic Games.
Rapinoe has been a wonderful spokesperson and role model for U.S. Soccer, a marketing and PR dream who is blessed with ample playing talent and personality. She certainly knows how to deliver short, moving and meaningful “thank you.” Watch her acceptance speech from the weekend’s gala.
- Jozy Altidore the hero as the U.S. beats Honduras 1-0 1
- Can the United States deal with success vs. Honduras? 1
- Lineup prediction for U.S.-Honduras qualifier 2
- Big opportunity ahead as United States faces Honduras in World Cup qualifying action 1
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we need a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 9
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public