Nov 13, 2012, 11:05 AM EDT
Let’s face it, when it comes to the venue city for the United States national team’s final match of 2012, most of us couldn’t spell the darn thing, much less point to it on map.
On the list of Russian places we’ve all heard about, this is hardly Moscow or St. Petersburg. Heck, it’s not even Leningrad or Stalingrad, and such a place has not existed officially for years (not by one of those names, anyway).
Said U.S. national team manager Jurgen Klinsmann in a recent national teleconference: “That was totally up to Russia to choose the site. They chose the site before they had actually chosen the World Cup venues so at the point they chose Krasnodar, it was still one of the sites for the 2018 FIFA World Cup. It gives us, at least, a little bit of a warmer climate in Krasnodar than maybe in St. Petersburg or in Moscow.”
‘Tis warmer, indeed. Look at Krasnodar on the map and you see that it’s about level, longitude wise, with areas of northern Italy. It’s on the Black Sea, about 900 miles south of Moscow, home to about 5 million and known as the “Russian Riviera.”
Whether that’s really the case or just so much marketing spin – we’ll have to ask the U.S. players and staff once they get back.
- Stock Falling: Which U.S. players’ statures are slipping … 2
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 1
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 2
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public