Nov 14, 2012, 9:46 AM EDT
It is turning out to a terribly grim week for domestic soccer and domestic violence.
Yesterday’s news out of Seattle involving U.S. goalkeeper Hope Solo was disturbing on a number of levels. Even if it turns out that Solo’s fiancé did nothing wrong in this case, the two-time Olympic Gold Medalist’s personal choices seem curious, at very best.
Now, Major League Soccer has its own domestic-violence mess to deal with.
FC Dallas president Doug Quinn was arrested over the weekend in New York for allegedly beating and strangling his wife.
As with all of these stories, it’s best to let things play out legally before arriving at too many hard conclusions. But it does seem safe to say this:
If the allegations prove true, it’s hard to see that top-level management changes aren’t ahead for FC Dallas, which is owned by Hunt Sports Group. That’s an organization that traces its roots to patriarch and domestic soccer pioneer Lamar Hunt, a man of unimpeachable character.
It’s hard to see HSG retaining Quinn, who was once a rising star in MLS circles, a man more or less hand-picked by league leaders to help FC Dallas sort out its front office, one that had lost its way in terms of sponsorship and customer service.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public