Nov 14, 2012, 9:46 AM EST
It is turning out to a terribly grim week for domestic soccer and domestic violence.
Yesterday’s news out of Seattle involving U.S. goalkeeper Hope Solo was disturbing on a number of levels. Even if it turns out that Solo’s fiancé did nothing wrong in this case, the two-time Olympic Gold Medalist’s personal choices seem curious, at very best.
Now, Major League Soccer has its own domestic-violence mess to deal with.
FC Dallas president Doug Quinn was arrested over the weekend in New York for allegedly beating and strangling his wife.
As with all of these stories, it’s best to let things play out legally before arriving at too many hard conclusions. But it does seem safe to say this:
If the allegations prove true, it’s hard to see that top-level management changes aren’t ahead for FC Dallas, which is owned by Hunt Sports Group. That’s an organization that traces its roots to patriarch and domestic soccer pioneer Lamar Hunt, a man of unimpeachable character.
It’s hard to see HSG retaining Quinn, who was once a rising star in MLS circles, a man more or less hand-picked by league leaders to help FC Dallas sort out its front office, one that had lost its way in terms of sponsorship and customer service.
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 2
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 5
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park