Nov 14, 2012, 6:40 PM EDT
By now, you’ve probably heard: The U.S. Men’s National Team got another good result on Wednesday. Yes, it was only a friendly, and as we’ve often seen when Jurgen Klinsmann’s team takes a step up in class, there were long portions of this game where the U.S. looked two steps behind their hosts.
But just as they did in Genoa and Mexico City, the U.S. got a result, and while this one won’t settle into history next to those wins, it was still an encouraging night in Krasnodar. Two goals against a defense that hasn’t conceded in World Cup qualifying may inspire some much-needed confidence in the U.S. attack.
For now, let’s do the highlights and then consider where Wendesday’s result ranks among the U.S.’s 2012 results.
If the U.S. defense hadn’t have gift wrapped two goals for the Russians, we could be talked about the U.S.’s third huge road win of the year. That the back line isn’t usually that error-prone should give the team some solace, though the leaks plugged by Tim Howard need to be aggressed before February.
But that’s 2013, and with this season-ending result against Russia, it seems a good time to look back and ask where today’s result ranks among the U.S.’s 14 games of 2012.
With the States having gone 9-2-3, here are the results that jump out:
4. 1-0 win in Panama – Fans have good reason to be nervous about the final round of World Cup qualifying, but a road win with the January camp’s roster should give followers reason to believe the U.S. can have success in Panama City.
3. 2-2 draw in Russia – Two comebacks, the second in the 94th minute, gave Russia their first blemish since Fabio Capello’s July debut.
2. 1-0 win in Italy – The Azzurri may not be the power they once were, but they’re still one of the world’s elite soccer nations. A win in Italy is something players will remember.
1. 1-0 win in Mexico – Taking a weak squad to Azteca (and starting an experimental Geoff Cameron-Maurice Edu pair in central defense), the U.S. looked destined for another loss in Mexico. Instead, Michael Orozco Fiscal’s goal gave the States their first every victory at Azteca.
Oct 25, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
The Chicago Fire are seeking to bolster the strength of their roster, examining the possible signing of ex-Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Jaime O’Hara.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
A sleepy game for over an hour, Seattle and L.A. used the last hour to stage a contest worthy of a trophy-winning event.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:29 PM EDT
Pique speaks of his handball in Barcelona’s 3-1 defeat to Real Madrid: “It was unintentional.”
Oct 25, 2014, 3:47 PM EDT
The L.A. Galaxy and Seattle Sounders are scoreless through 45 minutes at CenturyLink in Washington.
Oct 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Leeds United have fired manager Darko Milanic after only 32 days leading the squad.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
Several fun games whet the appetite for a massive top of table Sunday tilt between Bayern Munich and Borussia Monchengladbach.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT
With six games on Saturday in the PL, here’s what happened.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Wilfried Bony scored both goals for Swans, 2-0, who cruised to the win against the suddenly-struggling Foxes.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
Will the Sounders handle the Galaxy and expectations to clinch home-field throughout the playoffs?
Oct 25, 2014, 1:54 PM EDT
“Maybe they [Stoke] created two possibilities, not chances and that’s a great team effort,” Koeman said of his Saints.
Oct 25, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
Despite going behind earlier, Real came roaring back to win the first El Clasico of 2014-15.
Oct 25, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Watch and enjoy, then follow the second half live on NBC and online via Live Extra.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
Neymar and Ronaldo stealing the show so far, as four on yellows for Barca. Live updates, here:
Oct 25, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Pellegrini magnanimous in defeat, but City could be eight points off top spot by the end of the weekend.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
Reds thwarted by stubborn Tigers, as Balotelli fires a blank once again.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT
West Brom won the shots battle 17-8 and carried nearly 70 percent of the possession by the time all was said and done.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
It was 1-0 at half, and it was all the Saints would need.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Arsenal make the most of awful errors from Sunderland.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
Eighth-place Swans will host the suddenly-struggling Foxes as both teams look to rebuild momentum after good starts to the season.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT
Follow El Clasico here with live updates, as Suarez starts with his four month ban over.
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 0
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 3
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending (video) 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 2
- West Ham United 2-1 Manchester City: Hammers stun reigning champs (video) 1