Nov 14, 2012, 7:45 AM EST
Real Salt Lake up-and-comer Luis Gil turns 19. Yes, just 19.
Former MLS man, Honduran international and current Leeds United midfielder Ramon Nunez turns 27.
Belgian international and Arsenal center back Thomas Vermaelen also turns 27. The Ajax-trained defender is among the reasons why this current Belgian crop may actually get to the World Cup and ruffle some Brazilian feathers over there.
Longtime England international goalkeeper Chris Woods turns 53. His long career included a stop at Colorado for Major League Soccer’s inaugural season.
Big Important Stories of the Day:
United States national team finishes its 2012 season with a friendly against Russia, now directed by former England manager Fabio Capello, in Krasnodar, Russia (pictured).
It’s an early match (10 a.m. ET kickoff on ESPN2), so we’ll have plenty of time for discussion afterward.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day: Cindy Parlow
*Ahead on the blog today:
It’s mostly an international day, which includes (but certainly is not limited to) …
Talk about the U.S-Russia result; talk about any other interesting result on the big menu of international matches from around the world, and; talk about any U.S. women’s national team player who may be in the news lately.
What you should watch on TV today:
There are lots of choices, but it’s got to start with the United States and Russia at 10 a.m. ET.
Background noise while blogging today: What, are you kidding? Have you seen the peachy schedule of international matches on today. In fact, here’s the precise plan of action on this end.
We’ll leave you with this: Remember the golden rule of friendlies when it comes to personnel: It’s difficult to completely play your way into the manager’s good graces through performance in a friendly. The lack of any real, meaningful pressure prevents it. On the other hand, the selections can certainly play their way out of future considerations. That’s the real value of these friendlies, for the winnowing effect.
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 0
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"