Nov 14, 2012, 7:45 AM EST
Real Salt Lake up-and-comer Luis Gil turns 19. Yes, just 19.
Former MLS man, Honduran international and current Leeds United midfielder Ramon Nunez turns 27.
Belgian international and Arsenal center back Thomas Vermaelen also turns 27. The Ajax-trained defender is among the reasons why this current Belgian crop may actually get to the World Cup and ruffle some Brazilian feathers over there.
Longtime England international goalkeeper Chris Woods turns 53. His long career included a stop at Colorado for Major League Soccer’s inaugural season.
Big Important Stories of the Day:
United States national team finishes its 2012 season with a friendly against Russia, now directed by former England manager Fabio Capello, in Krasnodar, Russia (pictured).
It’s an early match (10 a.m. ET kickoff on ESPN2), so we’ll have plenty of time for discussion afterward.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day: Cindy Parlow
*Ahead on the blog today:
It’s mostly an international day, which includes (but certainly is not limited to) …
Talk about the U.S-Russia result; talk about any other interesting result on the big menu of international matches from around the world, and; talk about any U.S. women’s national team player who may be in the news lately.
What you should watch on TV today:
There are lots of choices, but it’s got to start with the United States and Russia at 10 a.m. ET.
Background noise while blogging today: What, are you kidding? Have you seen the peachy schedule of international matches on today. In fact, here’s the precise plan of action on this end.
We’ll leave you with this: Remember the golden rule of friendlies when it comes to personnel: It’s difficult to completely play your way into the manager’s good graces through performance in a friendly. The lack of any real, meaningful pressure prevents it. On the other hand, the selections can certainly play their way out of future considerations. That’s the real value of these friendlies, for the winnowing effect.
Dec 20, 2013, 7:55 PM EST
Tim Sherwood has not only expressed his interest in the vacant Spurs managerial position, he insisted he’s the only man for the job.
Dec 20, 2013, 7:15 PM EST
Out of Premier League action since the beginning of November, Joe Hart could get a lifeline against lowly Fulham.
Dec 20, 2013, 6:05 PM EST
Euro 2016 will definitely feature 24 teams – up from 16 – and now we know how they’ll get there.
Dec 20, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
19-year-old M’Baye Niang is a wanted man, just not at the San Siro.
Dec 20, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
With names tossed around left and right, the Swansea manager has taken himself out of the running for Tottenham’s next manager.
Dec 20, 2013, 3:48 PM EST
It nearly came to pass that Fernando Torres attempted a professional career as a shot-stopper, not a goal-scorer.
Dec 20, 2013, 2:26 PM EST
Landon leads the way as U.S. Soccer Federation honors greatest XI of all-time:
Dec 20, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Can City keep the pressure up on those above them by beating struggling Fulham?
Dec 20, 2013, 12:24 PM EST
With a new deal inked and his future secured, now Suarez wants to bring UCL success back to Anfield:
Dec 20, 2013, 11:22 AM EST
All the details on where to watch every single PL game live this weekend:
Dec 20, 2013, 10:50 AM EST
New deal extends apparel deal which began in ’95… Will the USA now get creative with jersey design?
Dec 20, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
In the latest PST Extra, JPW and Prindi chat about Sherwood’s potential, a massive London derby and Guzan vs. Cameron:
Dec 20, 2013, 8:56 AM EST
Star striker signs lengthy new deal to hand Liverpool huge boost:
Dec 20, 2013, 8:32 AM EST
Get ready, “Fulhamerica” is about to be back on the map as Dempsey finalizes loan switch:
Dec 20, 2013, 8:10 AM EST
Cardiff boss expected to be fired, as owner Vincent Tan shocks English soccer with appalling behavior:
Dec 20, 2013, 7:25 AM EST
Top teams across Europe scrambling to get AVB on board:
Dec 19, 2013, 11:05 PM EST
They couldn’t wait until January. Swansea’s goalkeeper had to go under the knife as soon as possible.
Dec 19, 2013, 10:01 PM EST
Simple, cheap, and already in wide use. Giving the okay to vanishing spray was an obvious choice.
Dec 19, 2013, 8:54 PM EST
SI.com tabs the NBC studio host as this year’s best newcomer.
Dec 19, 2013, 7:33 PM EST
Six serious injuries but no casualties resulted tonight’s near-miss in Bekal.
- Could Joe Hart return to Premier League action this weekend against Fulham? 0
- U.S. Soccer names All-Time Best XI, do you agree? 6
- Luis Suarez signs new long-term deal at Liverpool 3
- Clint Dempsey undergoes medical at Fulham ahead of loan move from Seattle Sounders 3
- Hamm, Wambach, Morgan lead U.S. Soccer’s all-time women’s best XI (but no Solo, Milbrett) 11
- Manchester derby in cards for League Cup final 1
- Report: Clint Dempsey will join Fulham on Jan. 1 for two-month loan (12)
- Is Google a player in the game of sports media rights? (12)
- Hamm, Wambach, Morgan lead U.S. Soccer’s all-time women’s best XI (but no Solo, Milbrett) (11)
- Spurs in hunt for new boss after sacking Andre Villas-Boas (10)
- Mexico’s Monterrey dumped out of FIFA Club World Cup (7)
- Bank of Brazil to Release Special World Cup Coins
- Nightmare for Socceroos in Real Group of Death
- Hodgson's Manaus Plan is Flawed
- Wilmer Cabrera on WC Draw: ''It's an Even Group''
- Germany Building Training Facility in Brazil
- Spain Thinking of US Camp Before World Cup
- Don't count out Chile in WC Group B
- Kicking it Off with a Final
- VIDEO: Visa World Cup Promo
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy