Nov 14, 2012, 3:12 PM EST
On the list of players of whom U.S. Soccer diehards have been pining to see more, Mikkel Diskerud may be near the top. The 22-year-old Rosenburg attacking midfielder had two prior caps as well as a significant role in this spring’s Olympic qualifying tournament, but still eligible to play for Norway, “Mix” is a bit of a fixation for hardcore fans. Not only do they want him to get more time, they want him cap-tied. Even after today’s appearance in Russia, Diskerud could play for his country of birth.
After today, however, you have to think Mix is a lot closer to being a permanent U.S. men’s national team player. From U.S. Soccer’s point of view, the young midfielder came off the bench and made a big contribution. And for Diskerud, he’ll never be able to change the fact his first big moment at the senior international level came for the United States.
That big moment came in the 93rd minute in Krasnodar. Michael Bradley had pumped a ball forward for Terrence Boyd, who had been brought on with Diskerud only six minutes before. The Rapid Wien striker headed down for Diskerud, who took it from there:
That he only played seven minutes in a friendly hints at Diskerud’s place in Klinsmann’s pecking order; however, he certainly didn’t hurt his standing with today’s big goal. With only one round left in Norway’s season, Diskerud is a player who could make a claim with a January camp. If a January camp happens.
Dec 10, 2013, 3:02 PM EST
There was a time at Toronto when Frei stood out among the best of Major League Soccer goalkeepers:
Dec 10, 2013, 2:25 PM EST
What a weekend it was in the Barclays Premier League. Here’s the Team of the Week:
Dec 10, 2013, 12:57 PM EST
The 37-year-old leaves a legacy that includes a MLS Cup championship in 2010, nine MLS All-Star appearances and two World Cups.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:47 AM EST
If they decide to build a new home for the Blaugrana it’s expected to cost in the region of $412 million.
Dec 10, 2013, 10:11 AM EST
“We have an agreement to extend the loan for an extra year if Barcelona don’t need Deulofeu,” Martinez admitted following the draw at the Emirates.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:32 AM EST
The Anderlecht man attributed the diagnosis to growing up in California where the sun shines strong throughout the year.
Dec 10, 2013, 7:40 AM EST
It’s believed Eto’o will move to Los Angeles Galaxy, DC United and Club Deportivo Chivas USA, Seattle Sounders or Chicago Fire.
Dec 10, 2013, 4:53 AM EST
Groups A through D finish on Tuesday, with the tournament’s holders and England’s champions hoping to clinch top spots.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
Whoever is next up in the Whitecaps’ managerial seat would surely love to have a 22-goal scorer to build around:
Dec 9, 2013, 10:50 PM EST
Still a highly regarded goalkeeper, Nielsen calls it quits just 48 hours after winning MLS Cup 2013:
Dec 9, 2013, 10:10 PM EST
Might the wandering Goats actually do something right?
Dec 9, 2013, 9:22 PM EST
Once again, Major League Soccer will become the globe’s first league to employ the new World Cup match ball:
Dec 9, 2013, 8:55 PM EST
Chicago’s Chris Rolfe, Houston’s Bobby Boswell, Seattle’s Steve Zakuani among the intriguing options:
Dec 9, 2013, 8:18 PM EST
Don’t miss the last save from the package, an absolute show-stopper from Aston Villa’s U.S. international Brad Guzan:
Dec 9, 2013, 8:01 PM EST
An alternative look at all the action from Week 15 of the PL:
Dec 9, 2013, 7:53 PM EST
Who says the MLS off-season is too short?
Dec 9, 2013, 7:30 PM EST
Round 15’s Team of the Week includes a throwback man in John Arne Riise:
Dec 9, 2013, 6:52 PM EST
FC Dallas had a busy day … but, uh, who is going to coach the team?
Dec 9, 2013, 6:32 PM EST
Martin Rogers of Yahoo! Sports talks about Arsenal, Manchester United and more:
Dec 9, 2013, 5:48 PM EST
One versus England potentially being arranged in Miami? And another against Canada ahead of next year’s World Cup?
- Should Roberto Martinez be starting Gerard Deulofeu? 1
- Chelsea’s Samuel Eto’o set for move to Major League Soccer 5
- UEFA Champions League Preview: Manchester United, Bayern Munich look to finish group stage on top 0
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014