Nov 16, 2012, 10:58 AM EDT
Reports out of Australia initiated global ripples yesterday, as mentions of David Beckham always have.
Football Federation Australia chief executive David Gallop dropped a little Beckham bombshell during a wide-ranging interview with the country’s Daily Telegraph. According to the newspaper, “Gallop confirmed David Beckham’s interest in a potential move to the A-League and said he would be delighted to see the former Manchester United and Real Madrid superstar plying his trade on these shores.”
Only, it seems not to be true; Beckham’s representatives have denied the story outright.
We have learned through the years not to rule anything out with Beckham, especially when it comes to developments that could enhance the larger brand, as with last year’s “will he or won’t he” period of public flirtation with rising Paris Saint-Germain.
But this alleged Aussie arrival always seemed whacky.
Beckham is 37 and dealing increasingly with injuries and ailments that fall inexorably with the sands of time. So the alleged deal that would see Beckham arrive as a “guest player” to some A-Legue team in Australia, according to Gallop, made little sense.
Beckham, more than anyone, needs a period of recovery. At this point, he would get just two months before the Galaxy must be back at practice, into rehearsals before its March 4 CONCACAF Champions League contest with Costa Rica’s Herediano. (The Champions League schedule is here.)
Besides, a loan to an A-League side is hardly the same as a high-profile loan to an Italian Serie A club as we saw before. In those cases, the brand stood to benefit, and there were competitive reasons that made since for Beckham to stay sharp during those periods.
Jun 19, 2013, 2:00 AM EDT
Feel free to ask yourself at this point: where would the United States be in World Cup qualifying without its young, in-form striker:
Jun 18, 2013, 11:54 PM EDT
Jozy Altidore was the hero for the United States, cooly slotting a left-footed shot to hand the Stars & Stripes a 1-0 victory over Honduras.
Jun 18, 2013, 8:33 PM EDT
The LA Galaxy coach has taken aging players and made them useful parts of the roster before:
Jun 18, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
Everyone loves “The Pope”
Jun 18, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Our weekly re-ordering of Major League Soccer teams, following 16 rounds of play:
Jun 18, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
Some of the best U.S. success in the past has come when the United States was backed into a corner. Tonight looks much different:
Jun 18, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
There are a few choices to be made ahead of Tuesday’s match in Utah:
Jun 18, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Unsaid in this narrative is this: most U.S. sites are bright and alive these days.
Jun 18, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
Stuart Pearce has been relieved of his duties as manager of England’s U-21 squad.
Jun 18, 2013, 9:34 AM EDT
Australia join Brazil and Japan as nations that already have booked their place in next summer’s World Cup.
Jun 18, 2013, 7:56 AM EDT
Hearts have put the entire squad up for sale to raise the reported £500,000 needed to get the club to the start of the season.
Jun 18, 2013, 12:10 AM EDT
Brazil has infrastructure concerns. They’ve also spent $3.3 billion on soccer stadia. No surprise, people aren’t happy.
Jun 17, 2013, 10:43 PM EDT
The mythology of Ajax, Dutch soccer and one stars’ struggles outside the Dutch league make this potential transfer difficult to evaluate.
Jun 17, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
It’s only a matter of time before Ancelotti’s holding pattern’s resolved.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public