Nov 16, 2012, 1:55 PM EDT
Looking at the comments on the Soccer By Ives story that first broke news of Juan Agudelo’s training spell with Scottish giant Celtic, the important points here may have gotten lost.
The whole thing devolved quickly into a silly debate about the quality of Celtic and Scottish soccer in general. Which is a fine (if somewhat tired) debate to have, I suppose, but poorly placed here.
Why? Because this is good news for Agudelo, the young U.S. international whose smart, skillful assist led to Michael Bradley’s goal Wednesday against Russia. Here’s what it means for Agudelo:
- No matter what you think about the massive disparity in the top and bottom of Scottish Premier League Soccer, Celtic is a big club with quality players. No way a couple of weeks around Celtic Park will do any harm (assuming no injury misfortune, as we saw with Omar Gonzalez last year.)
- These “training spells” have the double effect of being de facto tryouts. It presents a chance for up-close inspection of a young man’s training habits and day-to-day approach. It doesn’t mean he will ever be signed by Celtic, or any other name brand club that might contact the Glasgow club about him, but it certainly enhances the chances (assuming Agudelo passes muster, that is).
- Finally, this is precisely what U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann wants to see, so this is a positive development for Agudelo’s national team endeavors. It’s not just the two weeks per se, it’s the added demonstration of commitment that Klinsmann wants to see. Rather than extra time off during Major League Soccer’s off-season, Agudelo, 19, is taking aggressive steps to keep training, to stay fit and keep adding to his soccer bag of tricks.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
What do you get for $107 million in today’s world? A red-hot 23-year-old Colombian striker, that’s what.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
Klopp says Hummels is not for sale… not at the price reported anyway.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:51 AM EDT
James is officially a Real Madrid player.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:42 AM EDT
Douglas Costa: “We all run a deadly risk if we are in the region.”
Jul 22, 2014, 7:49 AM EDT
Will the Colombian winger be heading to Old Trafford this summer?
Jul 22, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT
23-year-old will complete his $107 million move and be introduced at the Santiago Bernabéu.
Jul 21, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
A Davies-for-Sigurdsson swap and the purchase of the Ecudorian winger will give Garry Monk a glut of options in attacking midfield.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
While six World Cup stars will miss the tour, the Citizens still bring a talented squad to the U.S.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
The Spanish midfielder is expected to return to Spain this week to finalize his departure from the club.
Jul 21, 2014, 7:58 PM EDT
Honduran midfielder will miss six to eight months.
Jul 21, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT
Group is pushing for a $160-$200 million venue, claiming to be on MLS’s “short list.”
Jul 21, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
The 17-year-old potential U.S. international played along side Aaron Ramsey and About Diaby on Saturday.
Jul 21, 2014, 4:32 PM EDT
How does a player who snared four goals in two games miss out? Robbie Keane came up just short.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
The findings were due in late July, but will have to wait. Will Qatar and Russia hold onto their World Cup hosting duties?
Jul 21, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Those in New Jersey and Portland could see a whole lot of Julian Green in the next couple weeks.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Relive five of Stevie G’s best goals over his 14-year England career.
Jul 21, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
An amusing video of NYC accents atop the US national anthem gives Arsenal a victory in viral video.
Jul 21, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Will Wazza take the armband from Stevie G? Not so fast, there are some other chaps to contemplate first…
Jul 21, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
No goals for Americans south of the border, but there was plenty of actions as the 2014 Apertura took its first steps.
Jul 21, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
What makes an MLS franchise great? Who is the greatest? Is there a right or wrong answer?
- Real Madrid sign James Rodriguez for $107 million 2
- Xavi Hernández reportedly inching closer to New York City FC 10
- New report kicks off another round of Las Vegas expansion talk for MLS 2
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Sporting Kansas City’s Benny Feilhaber 0
- Qatar/Russia World Cup bidding investigation delayed until September 6
- Report: Bayern Munich confirms Julian Green on first team for US trip 10