Nov 18, 2012, 9:23 AM EST
Due to Los Angeles’ commanding lead over Seattle going into tonight’s second leg, we haven’t talked much about one interesting MLS playoff subplot. The Galaxy’s chance’s of advancing are high enough that we haven’t needed to kick at this looming possibility:
Given David Beckham’s age and increasing injury incidence, and given Landon Donovan’s career mid-life crisis, are we so certain that Major League Soccer’s most illustrious duo (ever, that is, not just currently) will share a club address next year?
Each time these two step on the field now, we could be witnessing the final 90 minutes of their six shared years with the Galaxy.
None of this is meant to be too sensational. Beckham, 37, surely could come back. He needs a break – which is why those reports last week of an off-season guest spell in Australia rang so untrue – but certainly has enough quality to keep going. He hasn’t been quite as influential as in the club’s 2011 run to MLS Cup, but it’s not like the former England captain is embarrassing himself out there. He’s been just fine, still passing smoothly through the midfield, still delivering free kicks and corner kicks with ample sting.
Plus, Beckham plays his position in a way that limits his movement and, therefore, enhances any possibility of playing into 38.
Donovan? Hard to say, given those repeated warnings that a career shakeup is somewhere between “possible” and “likely.”
But he does have another year remaining on his MLS contract. And a rest is what the U.S. international most needs, just like Beckham.
Still, it deserves to be pointed out that a big Seattle rally could cap the Galaxy season quickly. And as we move into another eventful MLS off-season, a fair question is whether the high-profile duo will share a kit going further.
- David Beckham says progress still being made toward MLS stadium in Miami 0
- DONE DEAL: Mattia Destro, Juan Agudelo sign with new clubs AC Milan, New England Revolution 0
- Juan Agudelo signs with New England Revolution, completes return to MLS 2
- How will Chelsea, Manchester City line up in huge Premier League clash? 1
- Chelsea’s Diego Costa to contest FA charge of violent conduct 1
- Freddy Adu heading back to MLS? Reports claim two teams interested 10