Nov 19, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
So what if a full two weeks breaks up the momentum prior to the Dec. 1 MLS Cup final outside Los Angeles? Is there really any reason to wait on the analysis?
Yes, we all have 13 full days to dissect this year’s MLS Cup final, Houston v. Los Angeles Dos. Historically speaking, we’ve got twice as much time as always since, for the first time, a two-week break has crept into the playoff design.
So, clearly, we’ll be picking this baby apart like so much Thanksgiving turkey. (Thanksgiving, of course, is the reason for the long break; MLS didn’t want a championship over the holiday weekend.)
Still, let’s go ahead and outline why there’s reason to believe MLS Cup 2012 will play out differently, and look refreshingly dissimilar to MLS Cup 2011 – never mind that the teams and the venue are exactly the same.
- Brad Davis (pictured) will be part of this one. Houston always looked like a longshot in 2011, in no small part because its best player sat injured on the sideline. Davis, among the league’s top restart specialists and a critical element in Houston’s midfield possession efforts, had been hurt in the Dynamo’s conference final victory.
- This is not the 2011 Galaxy. David Beckham isn’t quite the same, although two weeks of rest could restore some of the lost zip in his signature rips. Landon Donovan’s gimpy hamstring should be OK, but it does add an early element of mystery. Plus, even if preferred center back A.J. DeLaGarza can get healthy, there’s a danger that he won’t be sharp. So rookie center back Tommy Meyer may be on the spot once again.
- Even beyond the injuries, the Galaxy in 2011 had landmark stability and consistency. But in 2012, not so much. They’ve been up and down up and down like a Coney Island Ferris wheel this year. Even lately in the playoffs, Bruce Arena’s side has been quite good (twice) and curiously shaky (three times).
- Ricardo Clark’s summer addition for Houston adds an extra, experienced ball winner and ground-covering specialist, and that’s a less favorable central matchup for Beckham. And livewire winger Oscar Boniek Garcia has added a splash of color in 2012 that was missing from an otherwise plain Jane (but relatively effective) attack in 2011.
- Finally, the Dynamo has been here before. Quite literally, in precisely this spot. Only once in the last two years has Dominic Kinnear’s team gone on the road in the playoffs and failed to get the doggone job done. That was at the Home Depot Center last year. So, the motivational intangibles seem to fall Houston’s way. (Of course, that’s an early read. Again, we have plenty of time to change our minds.)
ProSoccerTalk will keep up discussion of the chase for MLS Cup through the Dec. 1 final outside Los Angeles.
Sep 22, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
What are Leicester City, Burnley and Queens Park Rangers all about? Our analysts break it down.
Sep 22, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
Who was crowned the best player of the week in the PL?
Sep 22, 2014, 2:48 PM EDT
Which five goals were the best? Pick your best from two chips, a scissor kick, a belter and a curler.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
Gunners and Saints clash, as the third round of the League Cup takes place this week.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:38 PM EDT
Zwanziger: “Medics say they cannot accept responsibility with a World Cup taking place under these conditions.”
Sep 22, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
Joining the NBC Sports crew from the crap part of SoHo, the MiB break down van Gaal’s topsy-turvy day.
Sep 22, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
A report documenting FIFA’s internal investigation into alleged World Cup bidding corruption will not be published.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
Gunners defensive woes compounded as Debuchy will be out for over three months.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
PST’s Lead Writer and Editor takes an in-depth look at the incredible storylines from the PL during Week 5.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:40 AM EDT
Rog and Davo welcomed guest after guest for a very special pod.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:05 AM EDT
Pellegrini on City’s 1-1 draw with Chelsea: “I think we played 90 minutes against a small team trying to defend.”
Sep 22, 2014, 8:32 AM EDT
German midfielder would be exactly what Arsenal need. Will he arrive in January?
Sep 22, 2014, 7:53 AM EDT
Will Defoe be heading back to England at the end of the 2014 MLS season? Reports suggest its likely.
Sep 22, 2014, 12:37 AM EDT
Toronto FC vs. Chivas USA was the only MLS match to occur on Sunday.
Sep 22, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT
Roundup of Serie A and La Liga matches from the weekend.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Manchester City defender Pablo Zabaleta thinks the referee let Diego Costa off without a red card during their encounter that spurred a red card for the Argentine.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
Barcelona beat Levante 5-0 on Sunday to continue their winning streak in all competitions.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Short written and video recap of Sunday’s games.
Sep 21, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT
Manchester City goalie Joe Hart confirmed that he hadn’t discussed a new contract with the club, and Liverpool is a prime candidate for his services, according to the Metro.
Sep 21, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT
More racism was thrown at Mario Balotelli, but this time, it appears law enforcement will get involved.
- Premier League Download: Tale of the newly-promoted teams 0
- FIFA Executive: “The 2022 World Cup in Qatar will not happen” 3
- Premier League Playback: Legendary Lampard strikes, United’s shambolic implosion 0
- Men in Blazers podcast: A Night of 1,000 Stars 0
- Report: Sami Khedira to seal $20 million Arsenal move in January 1
- Emotional Lampard just as shocked after pegging back ex-club Chelsea (VIDEO) 0