Nov 19, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
So what if a full two weeks breaks up the momentum prior to the Dec. 1 MLS Cup final outside Los Angeles? Is there really any reason to wait on the analysis?
Yes, we all have 13 full days to dissect this year’s MLS Cup final, Houston v. Los Angeles Dos. Historically speaking, we’ve got twice as much time as always since, for the first time, a two-week break has crept into the playoff design.
So, clearly, we’ll be picking this baby apart like so much Thanksgiving turkey. (Thanksgiving, of course, is the reason for the long break; MLS didn’t want a championship over the holiday weekend.)
Still, let’s go ahead and outline why there’s reason to believe MLS Cup 2012 will play out differently, and look refreshingly dissimilar to MLS Cup 2011 – never mind that the teams and the venue are exactly the same.
- Brad Davis (pictured) will be part of this one. Houston always looked like a longshot in 2011, in no small part because its best player sat injured on the sideline. Davis, among the league’s top restart specialists and a critical element in Houston’s midfield possession efforts, had been hurt in the Dynamo’s conference final victory.
- This is not the 2011 Galaxy. David Beckham isn’t quite the same, although two weeks of rest could restore some of the lost zip in his signature rips. Landon Donovan’s gimpy hamstring should be OK, but it does add an early element of mystery. Plus, even if preferred center back A.J. DeLaGarza can get healthy, there’s a danger that he won’t be sharp. So rookie center back Tommy Meyer may be on the spot once again.
- Even beyond the injuries, the Galaxy in 2011 had landmark stability and consistency. But in 2012, not so much. They’ve been up and down up and down like a Coney Island Ferris wheel this year. Even lately in the playoffs, Bruce Arena’s side has been quite good (twice) and curiously shaky (three times).
- Ricardo Clark’s summer addition for Houston adds an extra, experienced ball winner and ground-covering specialist, and that’s a less favorable central matchup for Beckham. And livewire winger Oscar Boniek Garcia has added a splash of color in 2012 that was missing from an otherwise plain Jane (but relatively effective) attack in 2011.
- Finally, the Dynamo has been here before. Quite literally, in precisely this spot. Only once in the last two years has Dominic Kinnear’s team gone on the road in the playoffs and failed to get the doggone job done. That was at the Home Depot Center last year. So, the motivational intangibles seem to fall Houston’s way. (Of course, that’s an early read. Again, we have plenty of time to change our minds.)
ProSoccerTalk will keep up discussion of the chase for MLS Cup through the Dec. 1 final outside Los Angeles.
Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.)
Mar 11, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
Defending champions Bayern down Gunners to reach quarterfinals of Champions League:
Mar 11, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
With seven goals in five Champions League games, Costa has led Atlético into the quarterfinals.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
Three Vancouver Whitecaps take their place in the first week’s Best XI.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Japanese youngster traveled with squad to Munich… then Arsenal found out he was ineligible:
Mar 11, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
Nick Rimando snared the league’s honor, but the Dancing Bear claims PST’s first weekly award.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
Can the Gunners go on the road and beat Bayern 2-0 for a second-straight season in the UCL?
Mar 11, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
American investment company now owns 25 percent of United’s total shares on the NYSE:
Mar 11, 2014, 12:43 PM EDT
Newcastle boss full of remorse after unsavory incident lands him in hot water:
Mar 11, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT
Pardew reprimanded by the FA, is his ban long enough?
Mar 11, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
German youth international, eligible to play for the USMNT, set to extend stay with Arsenal:
Mar 11, 2014, 10:46 AM EDT
Ankle sprain is “a very rare and unique injury, and we are trying to treat it as well as possible.”
Mar 11, 2014, 4:55 AM EDT
Milan’s failed to turn its season around, with Atlético has stabilized after a February swoon.
Mar 11, 2014, 3:47 AM EDT
Bayern’s lost twice in the last 12 months – once to Arsenal. The holders will look to avoid a repeat of last year’s visit.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
There’s also a freshness under Mastroeni, who oozes the respectability that comes from a distinguished career.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:54 PM EDT
The Black Cats have played three less matches than the Bluebirds and two less than the Baggies. A win over Palace would land them even with the Eagles.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT
“What I said to the players is ‘get it out of your head. Go home, reflect a little bit and I will do my best to come up with something better.’”
Mar 10, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
It wasn’t a pretty night to be in Turkey, as violent fans at Trabzonspor forced the abandonment of a match with rivals Fenerbahce on Monday night.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
What to do with the goal-scoring 34-year-old Scot who’s out of contract in June?
Mar 10, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
“Kevin made a huge contribution to our qualification for the World Cup, he never let us down and now his dreams have died,” said Holland manager Louis van Gaal.
Mar 10, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
Like Manuel Pellegrini and his distaste for a certain Swedish official, Wenger is also critical of UEFA slotting in a referee from a non-footballing power.
- Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.) 0
- Two from Diego Costa help Atlético Madrid cruise past Milan in Champions League, 4-1 (5-1, agg.) 0
- ProSoccerTalk’s MLS Team of the Week – Week 1 0
- ProSoccerTalk’s MLS Player of the Week: Will Bruin 0
- Alan Pardew handed hefty ban, fined for headbutt 2
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers