Nov 19, 2012, 4:04 PM EDT
Can there be any doubt that the brilliant “Dempsey Face” moment of 2012 pushed Clint Dempsey over the top as U.S. Soccer’s Male Athlete of the Year?
U.S. Soccer announced Monday that Dempsey had captured the honor for a third time; he also won in 2007 and 2011.
At very least, we should agree that his punishingly abusive funny faces, directed toward a disparaging, presumably surly and chatty, opponent, had some influence on the balloting? The man’s “Dempsey Face” moment happened back in September against Jamaica, and fans instantly loved it.
Twitter went bonkers over it.
Fan voting, after all, accounts for 50 percent of the balloting for these U.S. Soccer annual awards. The other 50 percent comes from voting among media and U.S. Soccer representatives, such as the various national team coaches and the federation’s board of directors.
Dempsey led all U.S. scorers in 2012 with six goals. Five came in World Cup qualifying as Jurgen Klinsmann’s team advanced out of the semifinal round and into final stage qualifying for Brazil 2014. The Texas born-and-bred attacker also supplied his country’s lone goal back in February during the 1-0 win over Italy, a signature victory of the Klinsmann era.
The other award finalists were midfielder Michael Bradley, forward Herculez Gomez, goalkeeper Tim Howard and defender Fabian Johnson.
Perhaps the best thing about winning U.S. Soccer’s annual award? They make this cool video montage – which includes, of course, the Dempsey Face moment. (That’s at the 1:25 mark … not that I’ve watched it a time or two.)
- Tuesday’s Top 5 Champions League Goals: Which was the best? 0
- A Klinsmann Casualty? Juan Agudelo passed on by Wolverhampton 6
- Steven Gerrard admits he denied move to Real Madrid and that it may haunt him in the future 1
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Bayern, Chelsea, Shakhtar go crazy on 40-goal night 0
- Chelsea 6-0 Maribor: Hazard brace keeps Blues atop Group G 0
- AS Roma 1-7 Bayern Munich: Sublime Bayern smash Roma to go five points clear in Group E 1