Nov 19, 2012, 2:53 PM EDT
It was all there Sunday night, the very best and the very worst of Sounders midfielder Osvaldo Alonso on display.
Never a dull moment with that guy, eh?
Alonso was in pedigree form during the 90 minute run-of-play against Los Angeles, a commanding presence, the ball-winning beast that we know – and then some. His passing and positioning were spot-on, as we talked about yesterday.
But there’s always the impulsive side that gets the Cuban-born fireball in hot water. It might manifest itself in a forearm delivered into someone’s ear or just overly aggressive fouling. Or it might be part of a tactical booboo, as we see sometimes when Alonso gets drawn out of the middle in haste to go make something happen.
Or … it might be losing his mind at the final whistle. Alonso could be in for more than a one-game suspension for Sunday’s post-game tirade against referee Mark Geiger. Geiger showed Alonso a second yellow, which means the Sounders most important midfielder will miss the 2013 MLS season opener.
Here’s the man in action – and the “bad” end of the Alonso spectrum, that is.
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers
- Martino and Moyes Trapped in Can't-Win Situations
- CCL Watch: Cruz Azul Suffer First Loss
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad