Nov 19, 2012, 2:53 PM EDT
It was all there Sunday night, the very best and the very worst of Sounders midfielder Osvaldo Alonso on display.
Never a dull moment with that guy, eh?
Alonso was in pedigree form during the 90 minute run-of-play against Los Angeles, a commanding presence, the ball-winning beast that we know – and then some. His passing and positioning were spot-on, as we talked about yesterday.
But there’s always the impulsive side that gets the Cuban-born fireball in hot water. It might manifest itself in a forearm delivered into someone’s ear or just overly aggressive fouling. Or it might be part of a tactical booboo, as we see sometimes when Alonso gets drawn out of the middle in haste to go make something happen.
Or … it might be losing his mind at the final whistle. Alonso could be in for more than a one-game suspension for Sunday’s post-game tirade against referee Mark Geiger. Geiger showed Alonso a second yellow, which means the Sounders most important midfielder will miss the 2013 MLS season opener.
Here’s the man in action – and the “bad” end of the Alonso spectrum, that is.
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 14
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 34
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 8
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (14)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (12)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team