Nov 20, 2012, 11:39 AM EDT
Soccer America, longtime venerable force in domestic soccer media, smartly reminds us this morning why David Beckham says he ultimately turned down last year’s much-talked about move to Paris Saint-Germain.
It was about the kids.
Beckham and the boys (Romeo, Cruz and Brooklyn, all pictured at right with dad) have been in sunny Southern California for five years. That represents most of the boys’ lives; Cruz, 7, surely cannot remember anything before L.A. arrival. So uprooting the boys from school, especially for a playing spell that probably would have been two years, maximum, was deemed out of bounds. At least, that’s what Beckham told us.
So any future playing move, Paul Kennedy from Soccer America speculates, would surely be a short-term move, something like the 10-game deal with Melbourne Heart of Australia’s A-League that has been rumored.
Perhaps. But what if this is a playing move in New York, followed by … something else down the line? Or what if this is playing assignment in England? Beckham loves his home land, as we know. So, moving the fam back to the land of footie, fish and chips hardly seems out of the question.
Kennedy also reminds us there is a Scottish wild card out there:
Rap star Snoop Dogg, a Beckham confidant, has talked about buying a stake in Scottish champion Celtic and bringing the Englishman with him to Glasgow, but that is an unlikely choice for Beckham to finish out his career.”
Speaking of the boys … I mean, how cute are these guys! Not that it should surprise any of us. Check out the pictures from a few nights ago at the Lakers game.
- What will Jurgen Klinsmann’s USMNT roster look like for 2015 Gold Cup? 1
- April Fools! The top gags that actually fooled soccer fans on this day 4
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Player of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Coach of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Team of the Season 3
- Who were biggest winners, losers from USMNT’s March friendlies? 3