Nov 20, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
It’s a barren day for soccer birthdays. A rotten day – or at least a very bad day for our research team into soccer birthdays. I’m sure someone will let me know if our research staff checked out early Monday night and missed one. Otherwise, Bo Derek, American all-that pin-up girl of another day, turns 56.
That’s all we got.
Well, that and David Beckham. His birthday is May 2. Just sayin’.
Big Important Stories of the Day:
David. Beckham. … Need we say more?
Elsewhere, it’s European Champions League, Match Day 5, to be exact. (It’s a slightly unstable element of the world’s best club competition, but “Match Day” in this case actually extends over two days. Those crazy Europeans!)
FC Porto, Málaga CF and Manchester United FC have already qualified for the tournament’s knockout stage, and a bunch of clubs can join them with the right result over the next two days.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day: Chris Albright
*Ahead on the blog today:
We’ll discuss a certain handsome, well-groomed Englishman. Perhaps you’ve heard of him. Some call him Becks. He’s leaving.
Leaving what, though? The Galaxy? MLS? A playing career, now bound for corner office ownership? All good questions … which is why we’ll talk about it.
Plus, there will be further discussion on the final two survivors in the chase for MLS Cup 2012. We’ll have plenty of Champions League talk, and a word of caution about a term we keep hearing: “Dynamo Dynasty.”
What you should watch on TV today:
Plenty of live Champions League across the Fox Soccer platforms starting at noon ET. Barcelona needs a rebound performance when it travels to Russia to face Spartak Moscow. That’s at noon on Fox Soccer Channel. Immediately after, the blue men of Chelsea need to arrest their recent spiral, and a trip into Juventus won’t be the easiest of places to do it. Coverage of that one begins at 2:30 p.m. ET on FSC.
Background noise while blogging today:
Mash-ups of David Beckham goals? Perhaps rediscovering the magic of that initial Becks news conference back in ’07? Beckham video from the summer’s London Games opening ceremonies? (No kidding, it’s still on my DVR.) At least until those Champions League matches pop on today, and some normalcy is restored.
We’ll leave you with this:
I cannot help but wonder if, secretly, Galaxy manager Bruce Arena is hap-hap-happy as a kid on a sugar high that dealing with Beckham and all the related distractions will soon be things of the past? Clearly, the man has been a wonderful and useful performer for most of his days and nights in L.A. Galaxy Valley. But there’s always something extra to deal with. It’s that “something extra” that I suspect Arena will not miss. Not. One. Bit.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 3
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 5
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 5
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 3
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 4
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 4
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)