Nov 20, 2012, 1:04 PM EDT
Two years ago, Sporting Kansas City’s Matt Besler made a starting appearance in Major League Soccer’s All-Star game down in Houston against Manchester United.
It was a teeny bit cheap, in all honesty. Not that Besler was horribly undeserving, but he probably wasn’t one of the league’s top two center backs that season. Fan voting that we will call “spirited and highly organized” assisted the Notre Dame man – and fair enough for that. It’s an All-Star game, after all, not a Senatorial election.
But Besler, who just completed his fourth professional season, just keeps ticking up the improvement scale. The just-completed season at Livestrong Sporting Park was easily his best.
He wasn’t the ProSoccerTalk choice as Defender of the Year, but his work around Livestrong certainly advanced to the point where Besler being named MLS Defender of the Year doesn’t look at bit out of place.
Sporting Kansas City led MLS in fewest goals allowed with 27. Consider also that goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen started all 34 games for Sporting KC, and yet was no higher than 15th in saves.
Translation: guys like Besler were doing everything and then some to keep the heat off their back-stopper.
- Can the United States deal with success vs. Honduras? 0
- Lineup prediction for U.S.-Honduras qualifier 2
- Big opportunity ahead as United States faces Honduras in World Cup qualifying action 1
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we need a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 9
- Early returns from England’s offseason tell a tale of two Manchesters 0
- Criticism, negativity may leave Seattle with few rewards for their hosting efforts (20)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public