Nov 20, 2012, 9:32 AM EDT
Those “Stop the Presses!” headlines from Monday night are only a starting point. David Beckham splitting amicably with the Galaxy after six strong seasons (mostly strong on the field, always a fearsome force in wow-wow factor) is hardly the checkered flag at the finish line.
There are tons of tentacles branching out on this one, so let’s look at where the story will travel from here:
- Beckham’s next stop is foremost in the unfolding tale. Early pundit leanings seemed to focus on the significance of Beckham saying he is leaving the Galaxy, rather than leaving MLS. So came the early momentum behind a “Beckham to the Red Bulls” rumor. Pure guesswork at this point, but there it is.
- If not here, where? Assuming Beckham does feel like a man with few more kicks left in his shiny boots … Japan? Australia? Russia? Those would all qualify as “new frontiers” for Brand Beckham and his strategic deciders at Simon Fuller’s 19 Entertainment.
- What’s up with this seemingly less-than-ideal timing? Beckham and 19 Entertainment just made the 17th MLS Cup all about him, intentionally or not. As PST colleague Richard Farley noted yesterday on Twitter, MLS Cup 2011 was all about Beckham, would he stay or would he go (following that initial five-year monster deal)? He signed a new two-year agreement shortly thereafter, so we seemed to dwell happily in a Beckham Drama-free zone for ’12. Guess not. Alas, another year of much media eulogizing of Becks’ days in MLS. (Hey! No cutting and pasting, boys and girls.)
- So there’s lots of ground to cover on the timing. For instance, would anyone at league level have preferred Beckham make this announcement on Dec. 2, on the morning after MLS Cup? And would the Galaxy’s competitive pursuits be better off without the distraction of more Beckham brouhaha?
- Or is it possible that MLS Cup, for the first time on a Saturday night, needed this extra shot of media whiskey to jazz up a final that’s exactly the same as last year’s? (Same teams, same venue.)
- The other big thread in this huge ball of Beckham yarn: What’s next for the Galaxy? The Frank Lampard talk has languished in media speculation land for some time, aided by the Chelsea man’s appearance last summer in sunny So Cal. Or is Didier Drogba willing to trade his Chinese currency for a few American dollars? Either way, given the AEG ownership group’s penchant for the splashy-dashy, you know a big name is out there.
- Can the next man into the “Beckham hole” be a needle mover the way he was? Short answer is “no way.” Beckham was peerless in his collective marketing muscle. But that won’t stop us all from exploring the question.
- Now there’s a chance that L.A. Galaxy 2013 will look remarkably different. Not only will Bruce Arena’s side be one former England captain short, it could well be without Landon Donovan, too. Let’s discuss, shall we?
- You just know Houston manager Dominic Kinnear is loving all this intense focus on the Galaxy – the better for his team, champions of easy-going humility anyway, to prep for a Dec. 1 ambush.
- And what of Beckham’s MLS ownership ambition? Beckham seems keen (to use a word from his native vernacular) on exercising that unique option of buying into an MLS team at below-market rate. Grant Wahl from SI.com has reported that discount figure at $25 million, which would be a dandy bargain considering that Montreal just bought in at $40 million. The exception clause is New York’s second franchise, apparently, which MLS commissioner Don Garber has valued at closer to $100 million. Sorry, ‘bout that, Becks.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:06 AM EDT
Win U.S. Open Cup on Tuesday. Drop a few bars in New York on Thursday. You know: #JustClintDempseyThings.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
Sporting took a big step toward getting out of Group 2 thanks to its Spanish winger.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT
Awkward bounces made a disorganized El Tri look awful and the high-powered USWNT look pedestrian in a 4-0 decision on Thursday night.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT
Users decided to make the new art’s white space into a plus, ditching the high brow concept in favor of more appealing products.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
NBCSN’s first of three weekend broadcasts takes place tomorrow night at Rio Tinto Stadium.
Sep 18, 2014, 7:41 PM EDT
It’s 14 years off, but The FA is still planning to make a push.
Sep 18, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
Roberto Martinez makes an impressive European debut, while Mauricio Pochettino sees him team go without a shot on target.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
MLS has admitted failure before. Today’s new art may prove to be another idea the league should cast off.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
With Week four in the books, here’s how the PL teams stack up in our rankings of power.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
What are people saying about Major League Soccer’s new look?
Sep 18, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Wenger: “I was so close to signing Cristiano Ronaldo.”
Sep 18, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
After just four wins from 20 games, Fulham’s owner has seen enough from Magath.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:37 PM EDT
Rodgers’ side have had an up and down start to the season. Is it the sign of things to come?
Sep 18, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
Here’s what lies in store for Everton and Tottenham as Thursday night soccer begins.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Parmigiani watches worth over $25,000 dished out by Brazilian federation to FIFA’s exec. members must be returned.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:18 AM EDT
Gunners need reinforcements in defense, so who are they making a move for?
Sep 18, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
Norwegian boss let go after just 9 wins in 30 games in charge of the Bluebirds.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
Star striker struggling with persistent hamstring problem ahead of Manchester City clash.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:19 AM EDT
What do you guys think of the brand new MLS logo?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:40 AM EDT
Klinsmann’s men move up after Czech Republic win. See where they’re ranked in the top 20.
- Sloppy USWNT 4-0 win over Mexico adds fuel to turf conversation fire 0
- Europe League roundup: Everton big winners at home; Spurs left with draw on the road 0
- It’s not too late for Major League Soccer to turn away from its new logo 18
- Premier League Power Rankings: Red Devils and Villans on the up 1
- PHOTO: MLS unveils new logo. What do you think? 24
- US move up one place in latest FIFA rankings; Wales the big winners 0