Nov 21, 2012, 8:00 AM EST
Sporting Kansas City manager Peter Vermes, who would prefer to be prepping for MLS Cup rather than lollygagging around, opening birthdays cards and such, turns 46.
Longtime MLS man Dante Washington, now in the broadcast game, turns 42 on Wednesday.
Seattle Sounders left back Leonardo Gonzalez turns 32.
Joao Pinto, part of that Portuguese Golden Generation that didn’t turn out to quite so golden, turns 41.
Big Important Stories of the Day:
We are into Part II of European Champions League Match Day 5. Still confusing, I know.
And speaking of Champions League, the current title holders have canned the man who helped them get there. Chelsea FC have dismissed Roberto Di Matteo. And there was no beating around the West London bush with the club’s reasoning. From a statement: “The team’s recent performances and results have not been good enough.”
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day: Lothar Osiander
*Ahead on the blog today:
Chelsea, Champions League and anything new we learn about the two MLS Cup participants, the Houston Dynamo and Los Angeles Galaxy.
What you should watch on TV today:
Manchester City hopes to resuscitate its Champions League hopes with a win over Real Madrid. Coverage begins at 2:30 p.m. ET on Fox Soccer Channel. As usual, there is plenty of live and taped Champions League coverage across the Fox platforms.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is
- Liverpool 3-1 Cardiff City: Yet another side undone by Luis Suárez 0
- WATCH: Suarez scores two stunners for Liverpool to celebrate new deal (VIDEO) 0
- WATCH: Premier League live on NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 17 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Southampton and Chelsea to rise 0
- Could Joe Hart return to Premier League action this weekend against Fulham? 0
- U.S. Soccer names All-Time Best XI, do you agree? 7
- Report: Clint Dempsey will join Fulham on Jan. 1 for two-month loan (12)
- Is Google a player in the game of sports media rights? (12)
- Hamm, Wambach, Morgan lead U.S. Soccer’s all-time women’s best XI (but no Solo, Milbrett) (11)
- Spurs in hunt for new boss after sacking Andre Villas-Boas (10)
- Mexico’s Monterrey dumped out of FIFA Club World Cup (7)
- Bank of Brazil to Release Special World Cup Coins
- Nightmare for Socceroos in Real Group of Death
- Hodgson's Manaus Plan is Flawed
- Wilmer Cabrera on WC Draw: ''It's an Even Group''
- Germany Building Training Facility in Brazil
- Spain Thinking of US Camp Before World Cup
- Don't count out Chile in WC Group B
- Kicking it Off with a Final
- VIDEO: Visa World Cup Promo
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy