Nov 22, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
We are not working much today. What are we, Wal-Mart? (And you shouldn’t be working either.) So blogging will be light today … unless there’s huge news, huge on the scale of “Franz Beckenbauer comes out of retirement to sweep for the Cosmos” kind of huge. That would be huge.
If you see Ghanaian international Asamoah Gyan today, tell him “Thanks! Thanks a lot! Thanks for scoring in the third minute of overtime against the United States back in 2010, bouncing Bob Bradley and the boys from World Cup South Africa. Thanks a ton!”
Also, tell the man happy birthday. The former Uninese and Sunderland man turns 27.
Former Vancouver Whitecap attacker Davide Chiumiento turns 28.
And Everton’s Belgian international Marouane Fellaini (pictured) reminds us that it just seems like he’s been around forever. Fellaini, having such a good campaign alongside Tim Howard at Goodison Park, turns 25.
Big Important Stories of the Day:
It’s not a holiday in England, and that’s where most of the David Beckham news tends to break from. (Those pesky British tabs work harder at digging into this stuff.) So don’t be shocked if something happens on the “Where is he going …?” front. And don’t be shocked if it doesn’t.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day: Sasha Victorine
*Ahead on the blog today:
Major League Soccer will release the bulk of its awards next week as part of the build-up to MLS Cup; a few of the biggies are already out, like MLS Defender of the Year and Rookie of the Year. But we are too anxious to wait. So the ProSoccerTalk staff selections for MLS Best XI will be out at noon today.
What you should watch on TV today:
Since this is a day to celebrate American, check out U.S. Soccer’s 2012 Male Athlete of the Year in action as Clint Dempsey and Tottenham visits Lazio of Italy in Europa League Action. Coverage begins at 1 p.m. ET on Fox Soccer Channel.
Immediately after on the same channel (No need to rise off the sofa!), American-owned Liverpool meet Swiss side BSC Young Boys at 3 p.m. ET
We’ll leave you with this:
Seriously, get off the computer. Go spend time with family or friends. The blog will be here when you get back on the laptop tomorrow … or later tonight when you’ve had it up to here already with family.
* Always subject to change; you know how it is
Dec 12, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Unless a player lifts his shirt over his head, you may never see Intel’s contribution to Barcelona’s uniforms.
Where They Stand: Europa League’s 32 knockout round teams (and their potential effect on UEFA’s coefficients)
Dec 12, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
Italy and Ukraine could see big boosts to their coefficients, with each federation placing four teams in Europa’s knockout rounds.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
How close is PRP to blood doping? Close enough to get the Premier League’s attention.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:02 PM EST
The two-time Defender of the Year rejoins former Crew boss Sigi Schmid in Seattle.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:09 PM EST
The Dash join the Portland Thorns as MLS-backed teams in women’s league.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
Recovery timeline could leave Portland winger passed over by Costa Rica.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Like other notable quality American outfielders (e.g. Clint Dempsey), Cameron is a late-developer who has really evolved.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:38 PM EST
D.C. United upgraded half their defense on Thursday. But what are they getting for the money?
Dec 12, 2013, 3:38 PM EST
We saw this coming. Portland traded up on Thursday to snare the former Zip.
Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018
Dec 12, 2013, 3:01 PM EST
Klinsmann’s signed up for another cycle, the U.S. hoping to extend its evolution beyond Brazil.
Dec 12, 2013, 2:01 PM EST
This marks the first time a Bundesliga club has played in the league’s summer showcase.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:05 PM EST
Two big questions this weekend: 1) Can Spurs stop Luis Suarez? and
2) Does City’s midfield rival that of Arsenal?
Dec 12, 2013, 10:26 AM EST
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, Young says, but “for me, the referees have made decisions and that’s it.”
Dec 12, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
Would Moyes really loan Zaha to a competitor like Everton or Newcastle?
Dec 12, 2013, 8:01 AM EST
When looking back at the biggest UK Twitter “surges” of 2013 there is one topic that dominates the landscape: footy.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:46 PM EST
You can’t been drawn against a team from your own federation – a rule that will hurt Arsenal, Manchester City on Monday.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 PM EST
The defenses need to get better in both places. A lot better:
No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11
Dec 11, 2013, 9:23 PM EST
A little social media brush fire over the new Miami expansion outfit was promptly, mercifully extinguished:
Dec 11, 2013, 8:33 PM EST
Highlights from all Wednesday’s games, which saw Barça’s newest start break out, Italy’s reigning champions eliminated.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:46 PM EST
Once you narrow the list to 15 or so, it’s nearly impossible to decide from there:
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 2
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 5
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park