Nov 23, 2012, 10:16 AM EST
Recently we talked about Chivas USA and U.S. international Juan Agudelo, about his training spell with Scottish giant Celtic.
The point I made then was that these training spells are de facto tryouts. They aren’t tryouts per se, but they serve the same function. (Which is why all these training spells that Jurgen Klinsmann always encourages, especially for young players, fall under the “law of unintended consequences. The “consequence” in this case is that the training spells abroad may not always be the best thing for MLS, serving to strip away talent.)
And who knows if a permanent move to Celtic would be best for Agudelo, who turns 20 today.
But it certainly looks as if Agudelo may get the chance. Word comes this morning that Celtic manager Neil Lennon hopes to offer the young striker a deal.
That doesn’t mean, of course, that Agudelo is on the fast track to Glasgow.
As often as these transfer attempts to clubs abroad work out for promising young Americans, an equal number never happen – usually because MLS, in efforts to protect the value of all their players, reject transfer offers they deem insufficient.
In other words, news this morning of interest from Celtic Park is far more “beginning” on this tale than “conclusion.”
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 1
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 2
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 2
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 1
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 1
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 1
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (20)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (16)