Nov 24, 2012, 11:54 AM EDT
When did overhead kicks become free throw line dunks?
Julius Erving taking off from the free throw line and dunking was a big deal. When Michael Jordan replicated the feat, it was awesome, but when every NBA slam dunk contest started featuring multiple free throw line dunks, the practice became painful. Yes, you can jump a long way, and as much we’d like to hold up our little “10″ signs, we’ve seen it before.
Remarkably, the same feeling is starting to settle in with overhead kicks. As difficult as they are, we’ve seen a few lately. Our amazement may be spent.
Last week we had Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s bicycle to kill all bicycles, a goal some proclaimed the best ever (tune in next year for another best goal ever). When Philippe Mexes looped his own bicycle kick into Anderlecht’s goal in mid-week Champions League action, we broke out the requisite amount of awe and admiration.
But for today’s goal from Bayern Munich’s Javi Martínez? Well, judge for yourself. Here’s the midfielder’s opener today against Hannover:
Fine goal, no doubt. If we weren’t still in the shadow of Zlatan’s goal, I could probably table the cynicism and be a little less snide. But in the wake of Mexes’ goal, this one’s practically passé, even if it’s the Spaniard’s first for Bayern.
When did overhead kicks become free throw line dunks? Last Wednesday, it seems.
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 1
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games