Nov 24, 2012, 2:58 PM EDT
Zlatan Ibrahimovic had missed the last two league matches for Paris Saint-Germain, suspended after inadvertently karate kicking an opposing goalkeeper (Ibrahimovic’s world: Where martial arts just happen). During that time, PSG took one point from two, embarrassingly losing at home last week despite their opponents playing with only nine men.
On Saturday, Ibrahimovic returned in a big way, leading PSG to a 4-0 win over Troyes in which he engineered all of the goals:
- In the 17th minute, Ibrahimovic worked the ball along the right byline before putting a pass into a crowded six-yard box. The fell to Maxwell who punched home his second goal of the season.
- In the 63rd minute, ‘Ibra’ carried a ball from the center line to just outside the Troyes penalty area before poking a ball past the defense for Blaise Matuidi, who finished high into the right of goal to make it 2-0.
- In the 70th minute, and almost identically setup goal saw Ibrahimovic on the end of a Nene pass, Zlatan finishing with his left into the upper 90 to make it 3-0.
- And in the 89th minute, Ibrahimovic swept home a goal with his right after Ezequiel Lavezzi did the dirty work ahead of a cross.
Ibra is up to 12 goals and five assists in Ligue 1. Add in his Champions League performance (where he’s already accumulated a four-assist game) and Zlatan has 14 goals and 10 assists this season.
As nice as Radamal Falcao and Edinson Cavani are, I think we know the answer to this question.
Unfortunately for PSG, Zlatan’s been the only part of their attack that’s worked. He’s been involved in 17 of their 23 league goals. Only two goals scored while Ibrahimovic has actually been on the field have not been either setup or scored by him.
If he continues accruing numbers at this rate and plays all of PSG’s remaining Ligue 1 games, he’ll finish the French season with 38 goals and 16 assists.
And if the numbers aren’t sufficiently impressive, here’s Ibrahimovic’s first Saturday goal:
May 4, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
The stars of Week 9 are recognized as MLS’s standout performers. Giovinco, Oba and the Dallas duo highlight this star-studded cast.
May 4, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Twenty-two players have hit the pitch for Chelsea so far this season. Let’s grade them out in order of Premier League import.
May 4, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
But what does that mean? If you’re reading it like we are, Marotta has not ruled out accepting a mega-millions offer for Pogba.
May 4, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
Laurent Koscielny makes his 200th appearance for Arsenal, which seeks to move into second place in the Premier League standings.
May 4, 2015, 12:55 PM EDT
Inside: some keys to the fortunes of Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus as the first legs begin this week.
May 4, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT
Arsenal still holds the inside track in the race for second place in the Premier League.
May 4, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT
Now, when United prepares for a home match, it can prepare for everything but the crowd.
May 4, 2015, 10:22 AM EDT
The Magpies have allowed multiple goals in all but two matches of the losing streak, and have dropped to just two points shy of the drop zone.
May 4, 2015, 9:39 AM EDT
Chelsea are the champions of England, and anyone holding a gripe with the Blues’ title simply harbors some other form of resentment for the London club.
May 4, 2015, 8:34 AM EDT
The 24-year-old right back has long been behind Dani Alves in Barca’s pecking order. Alves is out of contract this summer, but the 31-year-old is still wanted by Barcelona.
May 4, 2015, 7:49 AM EDT
Greaves also played for Chelsea, AC Milan and West Ham United during the prime of his career.
May 3, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
Sour grapes from a manager who just lost his trophy.
May 3, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
One miss and you’re out. That’s the Louis van Gaal way.
May 3, 2015, 9:10 PM EDT
The combination of Clint Dempsey and Obafemi Martins was too much to handle for NYCFC as the duo ran rampant at Yankee Stadium.
May 3, 2015, 8:40 PM EDT
Chelsea may have just won the title, but Robbie Earle and Kyle Martino are already looking ahead to next season.
May 3, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
John Carver is almost certainly on his way out at Newcastle United, but how quickly will the club make changes?
May 3, 2015, 7:03 PM EDT
It was far from pretty for Sporting KC, but three points is three points, as they say.
May 3, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Catch up on all of Sunday’s action from Spain and Italy’s top flights.
May 3, 2015, 5:33 PM EDT
The Blues’ legend has had a hand in all four of Chelsea’s Premier League titles, but claims this one is special.
May 3, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
Wilshere has been linked with a move to Manchester City, but his manager believes the midfielder will remain a Gunner.
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 9 0
- Watch Live: Hull City vs. Arsenal (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Five things to look out for in UEFA Champions League semifinals 1
- Newcastle United standing by Carver through final matches of relegation battle 0
- In defense of Chelsea: The best team won, and looked just fine doing it 0
- Top seven moments that defined Chelsea’s championship season 0