Nov 25, 2012, 5:05 PM EDT
On a day when Tim Howard was not at his very best at the moment of truth for Everton, the debatable little wobble won’t matter as goalkeeper errors from the EPL weekend are dissected and discussed.
Because this came in the round when Sunderland ‘keeper Simon Mignolet made a complete mess of a very manageable situation. A routine save was bobbled carelessly, allowing West Bromich Albion striker Shane Long to hurry in and eventually convert the simplest of open-goal tap-ins. Only, that wasn’t the howler or howlers either.
That one belongs to Wigan goalkeeper Ali al-Habsi, who badly misplayed a deflected shot and suffered the embarrassment of seeing completely benign situation turn into a goal.
The Omani international won’t suffer too much, since his team won the match anyway, 3-2 over Reading. Still, it won’t be easy living this one down:
- Real Madrid’s Perez says De Gea move failed because Manchester United lacks transfer “experience” 4
- Preview: USMNT to face Peru in tune-up for CONCACAF playoff vs. Mexico 0
- Three things we learned from USA U-23’s defeat vs. England U-21 0
- If you’ve ever criticized Jurgen Klinsmann or his USMNT, you don’t understand soccer 33
- How will USMNT line up in friendly vs. Peru? 8
- VIDEO: PST Extra analyzes how Deadline Day played out across the Premier League 0