Nov 25, 2012, 5:05 PM EDT
On a day when Tim Howard was not at his very best at the moment of truth for Everton, the debatable little wobble won’t matter as goalkeeper errors from the EPL weekend are dissected and discussed.
Because this came in the round when Sunderland ‘keeper Simon Mignolet made a complete mess of a very manageable situation. A routine save was bobbled carelessly, allowing West Bromich Albion striker Shane Long to hurry in and eventually convert the simplest of open-goal tap-ins. Only, that wasn’t the howler or howlers either.
That one belongs to Wigan goalkeeper Ali al-Habsi, who badly misplayed a deflected shot and suffered the embarrassment of seeing completely benign situation turn into a goal.
The Omani international won’t suffer too much, since his team won the match anyway, 3-2 over Reading. Still, it won’t be easy living this one down:
- Chile 2-1 Peru: Vargas’ wondergoal puts the hosts through to Copa America final (video) 0
- Men in Blazers podcast special: USWNT’s Klingenberg talks defense, Germany, karate 1
- It’s official: Petr Cech has swapped London clubs, Chelsea to Arsenal 4
- Spanish football league becomes first to take legal action over Qatar World Cup dates 3
- England’s case of World Cup fever just what the doctor ordered for women’s soccer in Britain 3
- Agent confirms Carlos Bacca has reached agreement with AC Milan 0