Nov 25, 2012, 5:05 PM EDT
On a day when Tim Howard was not at his very best at the moment of truth for Everton, the debatable little wobble won’t matter as goalkeeper errors from the EPL weekend are dissected and discussed.
Because this came in the round when Sunderland ‘keeper Simon Mignolet made a complete mess of a very manageable situation. A routine save was bobbled carelessly, allowing West Bromich Albion striker Shane Long to hurry in and eventually convert the simplest of open-goal tap-ins. Only, that wasn’t the howler or howlers either.
That one belongs to Wigan goalkeeper Ali al-Habsi, who badly misplayed a deflected shot and suffered the embarrassment of seeing completely benign situation turn into a goal.
The Omani international won’t suffer too much, since his team won the match anyway, 3-2 over Reading. Still, it won’t be easy living this one down:
- New York City FC could be a proving ground for Man City youth 1
- Report: Red Bulls meet Ronaldinho’s reps; Reunion with Henry coming? 1
- MLS weekend preview: Conference leaders, surging Galaxy take to NBC, NBCSN 0
- Matías Pérez García announced, becomes third Designated Player in San Jose history 0
- Is Everton’s new striker Romelu Lukaku worth $47 million? 8
- Simeone praises Klinsmann’s US program that “seduces us as coaches” 6