Nov 26, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
England international and Manchester United striker Danny Welbeck, now making regular appearances for mighty Manchester United, turns 22 on Monday. He’s got a long, long way to go before they are throwing statues up at Old Trafford, a la Sir Alex Ferguson last week. But the young striker does seem to have some nice upside.
Big Important Stories of the Day:
Major League Soccer’s Best XI will be announced.
We’ve already “announced” our Best XI selections from ProSoccerTalk. We didn’t have a fancy press conference or anything like that – but don’t let that diminish the selections in your mind, OK?
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day: Clint Mathis (pictured)
*Ahead on the blog today:
We promise to interrupt the week of All Things David Beckham with a sufficient balance of Houston Dynamo coverage. In fact, we’ll start by deconstructing the Dynamo success. Look for that one in about an hour.
We’ll talk about that official MLS Best XI.
And later today we’ll have a Monday “Meh” list of the weekend’s slightly overrated in our sport.
What you should watch on TV today:
The lineup looks like a bunch of Paris super models … a little thin. If you have beIN Sports, there are a couple of Italian Serie A offerings, but even those don’t seem to be anything to shout about.
Background noise while blogging today:
Spies and zombies if there’s a break in the blogging action; that is, the Homeland and Walking Dead eps that went unseen Sunday night.
We’ll leave you with this: I know this December MLS Cup seems a bit odd, after Thanksgiving and all, but it does open a Saturday afternoon time slot thanks to a lot less college football competing for network time. And an MLS Cup without pro football (at the usual Sunday slot) as competition has a far better shot of attracting viewers not aligned with one of the competing teams. So, there’s that.
* Always subject to change; you know how it is
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 0
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- Red Bulls' Opening Act Has A Nightmare Finish
- MLS 2014: Dream Team of Week 1
- Jens Lehmann Downplays Guardiola's Bayern Munich
- Chivas USA Hang on to Take all 3 Points From Chicago Fire
- Three Things: Manchester City - Wigan
- Monarcas Morelia Hire 4th Manager of the Season
- What Moyes Really Meant by Asking Fans for More Time at Man United
- Manchester United Set to Sign Record $1 Billion Sponsorship Deal with Nike
- Will Johnson: We Weren't All Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro