Nov 26, 2012, 5:21 PM EDT
MLS commissioner Don Garber dropped a few newsy tidbits during his annual State of the League conference call with national media on Monday afternoon.
We may circle back and dig more into some of these items. For now, the abridged version of Garber’s significant copy points:
- The league announced its official Best XI during the call. Long story short, Sporting KC dominated.
- Next year’s season will begin on March 2, five days earlier than this year’s first kick. So the 2013 launch (MLS Year 18) will be the earliest yet. While that creates a few more potential weather issues, it assists some off the other MLS endeavors, such as …
- The league will do its best to avoid scheduling 2013 matches during FIFA international dates; that’s long been a major point of contention among clubs and fans. Well, and media, too
- The league will have what Garber called a “light schedule” during the 2013 Gold Cup.
- The 2013 playoffs will follow the same format as this year’s. The only tweak, Garber said, would be in trying to add more rest days between post-season matches. That is a change that MLS absolutely must force through, based on some scenarios that created clear advantages in some of this year’s matchups.
- The league will continue to target a second team in New York as its 20th club, still aiming for a side to inhabit the new ground in Queens. There are “many ownership groups” still interested, according to the commissioner.
- The year 2016 remains a solid target to launch that second New York franchise.
- Regarding the clause in David Beckham’s contract that allows him to purchase an expansion franchise for a below market price of $25 million, Garber said lots of possibilities remain in exploration. New York, Garber reiterated, is not eligible according to the clause.
- The L.A. Galaxy, however, are eligible to be part of those discussions. That’s especially relevant because of AEG’s plans to sell the Galaxy and the Home Depot Center.
- Garber said the league invests about $20 million in youth development and reserve programs, and said MLS will continue to aggressively invest in those programs, although no return on investment has yet been seen.
- Not much new to report on stadium situations in two important markets, Washington, D.C., and New England. Garber did indicate renewed energy with D.C. United’s ongoing hunt for a home.
- Garber stressed, once again, the great need for an MLS presence in the American Southeast. Nothing new, however, in terms of hard news.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
Five consecutive goals have Real Salt Lake ahead of the Colorado Rapids tonight, 5-1.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
Preview of West Ham v. Liverpool match on NBC at 12:30 p.m. ET this Saturday.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Watch Real Salt Lake encounter the Colorado Rapids live on NBCSN or NBC Sports Live Extra at 10:00 p.m. ET tonight.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Preview of Aston Villa vs. Arsenal match on NBCSN at 10:00 a.m. ET this Saturday.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:21 PM EDT
Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini and Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho hold different rationales about midfielder Frank Lampard’s Stamford Bridge exit this year.
Sep 19, 2014, 7:17 PM EDT
UEFA president Michel Platini doesn’t wish to give into FIFA’s pressure to return a watch gifted to him at the World Cup.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
Seattle Sounders FC have signed Nigerian defender Onyekachi Apam.
Sep 19, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT
Financial figures for Arsenal released by club today.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Coritiba striker Joel brought out a one-of-a-kind goal celebration vs. Sao Paolo.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:35 PM EDT
Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez has sung the praises of former Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson, who the forward believed was instrumental in getting himself exposure in Europe.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
Gareth Bale could one day return to Tottenham, but his waxing poetic on White Hart Lane is likely nothing more than political fare.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Of course it’s possible that Louis van Gaal could bring Ronaldo to Manchester United, but he doesn’t believe his current team is interested.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT
How many times in his life has Ronaldinho performed this task with flair (or at least adequately)?
Sep 19, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT
Tim Howard’s stint as No. 1 USMNT backstop may be on hiatus, but the battle of who’s the top American goalkeeper in the Premier League is on
Sep 19, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
An even rivalry heads to Loftus Road to start its season series on Saturday, kicking off the Premier League weekend.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Where and how to watch every PL game during Week 5, right here.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
A Washington Post report asks why Hope Solo is being celebrated for her on-field efforts while awaiting the results of her not guilty plea to domestic abuse charges.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT
It’s not about the Impact, the CONCACAF Champions League or the club’s record. For Di Vaio, it’s about home.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
Perhaps the investigation took a bit too long, but it seems many athletes did not understand the depths of their joke usage.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:40 AM EDT
You can watch the video of the ‘premeditated’ act inside. Six months is fairly understandable, no?
- Van Gaal has interest in Ronaldo, doesn’t think Real Madrid will sell 2
- Americans Abroad preview: Guzan looks to keep Villa rolling 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 5 1
- Euro 2020 semis, final to be played at Wembley Stadium 1
- Sloppy USWNT 4-0 win over Mexico adds fuel to turf conversation fire 0
- MLS’s new logo: Reddit (yes, Reddit) may have a way to solve the league’s new problem 19