Nov 26, 2012, 5:21 PM EDT
MLS commissioner Don Garber dropped a few newsy tidbits during his annual State of the League conference call with national media on Monday afternoon.
We may circle back and dig more into some of these items. For now, the abridged version of Garber’s significant copy points:
- The league announced its official Best XI during the call. Long story short, Sporting KC dominated.
- Next year’s season will begin on March 2, five days earlier than this year’s first kick. So the 2013 launch (MLS Year 18) will be the earliest yet. While that creates a few more potential weather issues, it assists some off the other MLS endeavors, such as …
- The league will do its best to avoid scheduling 2013 matches during FIFA international dates; that’s long been a major point of contention among clubs and fans. Well, and media, too
- The league will have what Garber called a “light schedule” during the 2013 Gold Cup.
- The 2013 playoffs will follow the same format as this year’s. The only tweak, Garber said, would be in trying to add more rest days between post-season matches. That is a change that MLS absolutely must force through, based on some scenarios that created clear advantages in some of this year’s matchups.
- The league will continue to target a second team in New York as its 20th club, still aiming for a side to inhabit the new ground in Queens. There are “many ownership groups” still interested, according to the commissioner.
- The year 2016 remains a solid target to launch that second New York franchise.
- Regarding the clause in David Beckham’s contract that allows him to purchase an expansion franchise for a below market price of $25 million, Garber said lots of possibilities remain in exploration. New York, Garber reiterated, is not eligible according to the clause.
- The L.A. Galaxy, however, are eligible to be part of those discussions. That’s especially relevant because of AEG’s plans to sell the Galaxy and the Home Depot Center.
- Garber said the league invests about $20 million in youth development and reserve programs, and said MLS will continue to aggressively invest in those programs, although no return on investment has yet been seen.
- Not much new to report on stadium situations in two important markets, Washington, D.C., and New England. Garber did indicate renewed energy with D.C. United’s ongoing hunt for a home.
- Garber stressed, once again, the great need for an MLS presence in the American Southeast. Nothing new, however, in terms of hard news.
Aug 28, 2015, 7:48 PM EDT
Spurs are still looking for their first win of the season, but face a tough test when Everton travels to White Hart Lane.
Aug 28, 2015, 6:53 PM EDT
I guess the Donald is a bit too busy to be buying a soccer club right now…
Aug 28, 2015, 5:57 PM EDT
Catch up on all the latest gossip from around the Premier League, right here.
Aug 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The deal is expected to be official within the next 24 hours as Manchester City’s offer was too good to refuse.
Aug 28, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
With the close of the transfer window quickly approaching, could Louis van Gaal be on the verge of the summer’s biggest signing?
Aug 28, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
Chelsea clinched the title last season with a win against Crystal Palace, and the Blues will be looking for a similar result on Saturday at Stamford Bridge.
Aug 28, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
PST’s Editor and Lead Writer predicts the scores for every PL game this weekend.
Aug 28, 2015, 1:20 PM EDT
Where and how to watch every single PL game this weekend.
Aug 28, 2015, 12:40 PM EDT
Can the Gunners kick-start their season at St James? Watch live, NBCSN, Saturday 7:45 a.m. ET.
Aug 28, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Rivalry Week is upon us once again, and if it lives up to the last edition, we’re going to be in for a mighty good time.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:12 AM EDT
Liverpool and England legend seems to be enjoying life in LA. Check out his video of Swifty.
Aug 28, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT
Premier League teams will rack up plenty of air miles this season in Europa League action.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
Wolfsburg admit to talks over KDB, as City’s offer of wages blow Bundesliga side out of the water.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:04 AM EDT
Segregation of U.S. and Mexico fans key for CONCACAF for huge showdown in Pasadena.
Aug 28, 2015, 8:20 AM EDT
South Korean international becomes Spurs’ third most-expensive signing in club history.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:01 PM EDT
Why yes, Mr. Wenger, one would have to agree with that assessment. In particular, it’s the finishing that’s killing them, he says.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:13 PM EDT
Next summers tournament will go on, but CONCACAF might not participate, which means the Copa needs a new host nation.
Aug 27, 2015, 7:37 PM EDT
Rog talks with Chelsea’s Jose Mourinho about his coaching philosophy, post-match press conferences and football in America.
Aug 27, 2015, 7:09 PM EDT
With the transfer deadline now just four days away, some of these deals are (finally) getting done.
Aug 27, 2015, 5:41 PM EDT
Southampton can now fully focus on the Premier League, because they’re officially out of Europe.
- Wolfsburg sporting director: “De Bruyne is off to Manchester City” 0
- Report: Manchester United planning massive $112 million bid for Arjen Robben 5
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Home advantage for heavyweights – Week 4 2
- WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 4 0
- Premier League Preview: Newcastle United vs. Arsenal 0
- Kevin de Bruyne deal moves closer after “astonishing” offer to join Manchester City 0