The tricky timing on Landon Donovan’s looming decision

Nov 26, 2012, 10:50 AM EDT

Landon Donovan of the Los Angeles Galaxy

By this time we should be used to Landon Donovan hinting that he’s not coming back.

But it’s still rings the news bell. And as the time for Donovan’s critical choice draws closer, each comment along these lines takes on additional weight.

In an interview with The Los Angeles Times, here’s what Donovan had to say – the latest indication that Saturday’s match at the Home Depot Center may, indeed, be his final match for the Galaxy or in general:

I’m going to take as much time as I need and decide if and when I’m ready to come back. I can’t put a time frame on that. If it takes two weeks and I’m ready to go again or two months or a year or two years.

“Or never. I don’t know.

“ … I’m aware of what I’m feeling, what I’m going through. And if I wake up one day and I say ‘you know what? I’m going to come back and play,’ then I’ll be here within an hour. If that doesn’t happen, if I wake up and I say ‘you know what? That’s enough,’ then I’ll let the people know who need to know and I’ll get on with my life.”

Here’s the issue with that, however: On the one hand, Donovan has earned the right to take his time in this critical matter. The U.S. national team’s all-time leading scorer has given so to the game and to MLS.

But the Los Angeles Galaxy is on a different timetable. While coach Bruce Arena and officials from the AEG ownership group would surely like to provide Donovan all the time he needs, they may not have that luxury. The transfer window opens in January.

There is already one DP hole to fill, the one now belonging to David Beckham. If L.A. has two DP slots, it could certainly affect the club’s strategic thinking on how best to use those assets.

Having two holes means the Galaxy could use one on a marquee man (Frank Lampard, anyone?) and one on a mid-level man who checks the boxes in competitive matters but isn’t a marketing force.

Or, as we mentioned yesterday, Donovan’s decision could create DP ripples that make their way out to Omar Gonzalez. The price on keeping that 24-year-old defensive force will surely keep rising.

Latest Posts
  1. VIDEO: Can Manchester United beat Chelsea? PST Extra breaks it down

Oct 23, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

PST Extra - Oct. 23

Will the Blues lose their first game of the season away at Old Trafford on Sunday? JPW and Prindi analyze that and more.

2. Father auctions his son’s allegiance… Manchester United or Manchester City?

Oct 23, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT

FBL-ENG-PR-MAN CITY-MAN UTD Getty Images

Little Eddie won’t have a say in who he supports, but it’s all for a good cause.

3. Sunil Gulati backs Jurgen Klinsmann following MLS dispute, USMNT “on the same page”

Oct 23, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT

GulatiKlinsmann Getty Images

Gulati: “Jurgen is our coach and technical director, and I fully expect that to be the case through to the 2018 World Cup.”

4. Diego Costa remains a doubt for Chelsea amid illness, groin strain

Oct 23, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT

With Costa struggling to make the bench, plus Remy out, Chelsea are running out of strikers.

5. All eyes on Origi: Tim Howard, Everton wary of on-loan Liverpool forward

Oct 23, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT

Belgium v USA: Round of 16 - 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Getty Images

Howard: “I know what he likes to do, but that doesn’t mean I will always be capable of stopping him.”

6. MLS Atlanta urges David Beckham, Miami to share stadium with Dolphins

Oct 23, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT

Cincinnati v Miami Cincinnati v Miami

Atlanta Falcons owner urges Beckham to link up with Miami Dolphins to sort out MLS stadium mess.

7. Everton fans reportedly attacked by gang in Lille ahead of Europa League clash

Oct 23, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT

FBL-EUR-C3-EVERTON-SUPPORTERS FBL-EUR-C3-EVERTON-SUPPORTERS

A gang of 100 local men reportedly ambushed Everton fans outside city center pub.

8. Report: Dutch star Dirk Kuyt heading to Southampton

Oct 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Will Saints swoop to sign former Liverpool star?

9. Reality check: Outclassed by Real Madrid, what now for Liverpool?

Oct 23, 2014, 8:34 AM EDT

Liverpool’s players react to Real Madrid humbling, as growing pains continue to spiral out of control.

10. After winless October, USA drop out of top 20 in latest FIFA rankings

Oct 23, 2014, 7:54 AM EDT

Klinsmann Getty Images

After two draws in October, the USA drops six places in latest world rankings.

11. Galatasaray’s 3-D Tifo has demanded all others to step their game up

Oct 22, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-10-22 at 10.48.58 PM

How did the Galatasaray supporters pull off this Tifo before Wednesday’s match against Borussia Dortmund? How?!?

12. Thursday’s Europa League preview: Spurs go Greek, Everton faces Lille

Oct 22, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT

Britain Soccer Europa League AP

The pair of Premier League clubs remaining in the competition face quite different tests on Thursday.

13. PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum?

Oct 22, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT

Nick Hagglund; Michael Bradley AP

Perhaps it isn’t the sexiest year for rookies in Major League Soccer, but there’s a quartet of names set to stick around for a while.

14. Arsene Wenger: We went big and it paid off against Anderlecht

Oct 22, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT

Belgium Soccer Champions League AP

“I had hope, it maybe didn’t look like it, but it happened,” Wenger said.

15. It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14

Oct 22, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT

James Rodriguez AP

“So overall, it’s a squad with a lot of experience playing at the highest level, and this will be another great benchmark for us,” Klinsmann said.

16. Brendan Rodgers remarks on Balotelli and Pepe’s halftime shirt swap

Oct 22, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Britain Soccer Champions League AP

Of course many are claiming this “is the beginning of end” for Balotelli on Merseyside. That seems a bit much.

17. VIDEO: Top 10 goals of the MLS season (heading into the final weekend)

Oct 22, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT

Erik Hurtado AP

Here’s the bar, Week 33 of Major League Soccer: Please feel free to raise it.

18. UEFA Champions League roundup: Madrid clubs, Borussia Dortmund roll

Oct 22, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, AP

We are at the halfway point in Groups A-D, and some English clubs are concerned about their fortunes to be sure.

19. Three things we learned as Real Madrid rout Liverpool

Oct 22, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT

Ronaldo and co. rolled into Anfield and issued Liverpool a harsh reality check. Ronaldo and co. rolled into Anfield and issued Liverpool a harsh reality check.

It was a night to forget for the home side, as Real ruled at Anfield. Here’s what we learned.

PST Extra: Can United beat Chelsea?