Nov 27, 2012, 5:03 PM EST
The ability to seize initiative and fully exploit glistening opportunity is one element of MLS that still needs much developing.
Not so much at league level (although that isn’t perfect, either). More, this is about grabbing when the grabbing is good at club level.
The window of enthusiasm, most frequently created by major player signings or breakthrough playoff runs, tends to be quite brief.
Some is a product of the MLS playoff system’s necessarily brief mechanics. Unlike playoff series in NBA, NHL or Major League baseball, where the momentum of a post-season set builds and builds, gradually generating its own substantial media weight, the big series of Major League Soccer’s post-season are created and decided too often in less than a week. (Sometimes in just four days … and then “Poof!” they are gone.)
For instance, it is fair to ask whether the Colorado Rapids fully exploited whatever excitement was created from its MLS title in 2010?
Looks like the Houston Dynamo are attempting to cash in to maximum effect. This story from the Houston Chronicle has some details about how president Chris Canetti is attempting to pounce on the opportunity.
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 16 2
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 3
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 4
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Klinsmann Shouldn't Have Been Re-signed Before WC
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy