Nov 27, 2012, 5:03 PM EDT
The ability to seize initiative and fully exploit glistening opportunity is one element of MLS that still needs much developing.
Not so much at league level (although that isn’t perfect, either). More, this is about grabbing when the grabbing is good at club level.
The window of enthusiasm, most frequently created by major player signings or breakthrough playoff runs, tends to be quite brief.
Some is a product of the MLS playoff system’s necessarily brief mechanics. Unlike playoff series in NBA, NHL or Major League baseball, where the momentum of a post-season set builds and builds, gradually generating its own substantial media weight, the big series of Major League Soccer’s post-season are created and decided too often in less than a week. (Sometimes in just four days … and then “Poof!” they are gone.)
For instance, it is fair to ask whether the Colorado Rapids fully exploited whatever excitement was created from its MLS title in 2010?
Looks like the Houston Dynamo are attempting to cash in to maximum effect. This story from the Houston Chronicle has some details about how president Chris Canetti is attempting to pounce on the opportunity.
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- What a photo: Lazio plays to near-empty Stadio Olimpico as fans protest club president 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear