Nov 27, 2012, 5:03 PM EDT
The ability to seize initiative and fully exploit glistening opportunity is one element of MLS that still needs much developing.
Not so much at league level (although that isn’t perfect, either). More, this is about grabbing when the grabbing is good at club level.
The window of enthusiasm, most frequently created by major player signings or breakthrough playoff runs, tends to be quite brief.
Some is a product of the MLS playoff system’s necessarily brief mechanics. Unlike playoff series in NBA, NHL or Major League baseball, where the momentum of a post-season set builds and builds, gradually generating its own substantial media weight, the big series of Major League Soccer’s post-season are created and decided too often in less than a week. (Sometimes in just four days … and then “Poof!” they are gone.)
For instance, it is fair to ask whether the Colorado Rapids fully exploited whatever excitement was created from its MLS title in 2010?
Looks like the Houston Dynamo are attempting to cash in to maximum effect. This story from the Houston Chronicle has some details about how president Chris Canetti is attempting to pounce on the opportunity.
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 0
- MLS Preview: Houston Dynamo at Montréal Impact 0
- USA can theoretically clinch a World Cup berth in their next match 3
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team 24
- 2013/2014 Premier League fixtures released 1
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (24)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public