Nov 27, 2012, 3:25 PM EDT
I have been singing Roger Espinoza’s praises all year. And that’s saying something, because I used to be first into the pile when we started talking about Espinoza’s place among the list of dirtiest MLS men.
But to his credit, the sporting Kansas City midfielder tamed his temper and his propensity for potentially injurious fouls. Seemingly overnight, too.
In 2011 he was still a poster boy for overly aggressive tackling, the kind that could break legs and start one of those full, bench-clearing donnybrooks that YouTube loves so much.
But something happened to Espinoza in 2012. He kept the hustle-bustle and the brilliant, impassioned effort, but subtracted the worst of the bookable offenses. With that, Espinoza became an essential midfield element for the club that proved best in the East wire to wire in 2012.
I have said several times already that, strong as Graham Zusi was in 2012 (Best XI and all), I thought Espinoza was more critical to Sporting Kansas City’s high-pressure ways. Truly, I might even rank Espinoza as one of the most underrated players in MLS – a tricky claim seeing as he was “rated” in most corners, just perhaps not highly enough.
Suffice to say, he was a consistent two-way force at Livestrong Sporting Park.
Now, he’ll apparently have a chance to be a two-way presence in the venerable English Premier League. Wigan Athletic made a late summer run at the Honduran international who gained further acclaim with high performance at the London 2012 Games. Now, it looks like Wigan has finally landed its man.
- Manchester United 4-0 QPR: Roaring first half signals intentions of new-look United 1
- Reports say Alan Pardew on thin ice as Newcastle front office eyes Hull’s Steve Bruce 0
- MLS Snapshot: Philadelphia Union 2-2 New York Red Bulls 0
- Late Turan goal gives Atletico 2-1 win at Real Madrid 0
- Saturday Premier League roundup: Chelsea win, Arsenal-Man City draw, Liverpool lose (video) 0
- Liverpool 0-1 Aston Villa: Agbonlahor’s early score leads Villa past listless Liverpool (video) 2