Nov 27, 2012, 3:25 PM EST
I have been singing Roger Espinoza’s praises all year. And that’s saying something, because I used to be first into the pile when we started talking about Espinoza’s place among the list of dirtiest MLS men.
But to his credit, the sporting Kansas City midfielder tamed his temper and his propensity for potentially injurious fouls. Seemingly overnight, too.
In 2011 he was still a poster boy for overly aggressive tackling, the kind that could break legs and start one of those full, bench-clearing donnybrooks that YouTube loves so much.
But something happened to Espinoza in 2012. He kept the hustle-bustle and the brilliant, impassioned effort, but subtracted the worst of the bookable offenses. With that, Espinoza became an essential midfield element for the club that proved best in the East wire to wire in 2012.
I have said several times already that, strong as Graham Zusi was in 2012 (Best XI and all), I thought Espinoza was more critical to Sporting Kansas City’s high-pressure ways. Truly, I might even rank Espinoza as one of the most underrated players in MLS – a tricky claim seeing as he was “rated” in most corners, just perhaps not highly enough.
Suffice to say, he was a consistent two-way force at Livestrong Sporting Park.
Now, he’ll apparently have a chance to be a two-way presence in the venerable English Premier League. Wigan Athletic made a late summer run at the Honduran international who gained further acclaim with high performance at the London 2012 Games. Now, it looks like Wigan has finally landed its man.
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 4
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 29 0
- MLS Preview: Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting Kansas City 0
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keeps Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Clash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record
- Captain America to Visit Chivas USA
- Lockout Virus Continues, MLS to Start 2014 with Replacement Refs
- Revs To Rely on Intensity, Depth in Opener vs. Dynamo
- Three Keys & One Standout for Toronto FC
- The John Strong Interview. Part 1 - MLS 2014
- Gonzalo Pineda: ''Playing Outside of Mexico Has Always Been a Goal''