Nov 28, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
We are all too well aware of the fabulous impact the inspirational “99ers” had on soccer and women’s sports at large a decade back. Mia Hamm, Julie Foudy, Brandi Chastain, etc., fashioned a powerful (and powerfully positive) allure, stamping a lasting impression on a generation of ponytailed Saturday morning superstars.
But do not try to tell me the current generation of U.S. figures – Abby Wambach, Alex Mogran, Megan Rapinoe, etc. – aren’t at least close in creating that same kind of special connection with the current crop of young passers and trappers.
Don’t believe me? Look at the telling photo taken after Tuesday’s night’s workout at Jeld-Wen Field, where the U.S. women face Ireland tonight.
The photo was sent around via Twitter by Portland Timbers owner Merritt Paulson.
That’s Rapinoe singing autographs. As Paulson said on his Twitter message, the young lady’s reaction is “priceless stuff.” ‘Tis indeed.
- Chelsea confirms two-year AC Milan loan for striker Fernando Torres 4
- US men to face Honduras in October; USWNT name roster for Mexico 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 3 0
- Premier League Preview: Burnley vs. Manchester United 1
- MLS Weekend Preview: Derbies close weekend kicking off off at Sporting Park 1
- Premier League Power Rankings: Familiar faces jostle for the top spot – Week 1 2