Nov 28, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
We are all too well aware of the fabulous impact the inspirational “99ers” had on soccer and women’s sports at large a decade back. Mia Hamm, Julie Foudy, Brandi Chastain, etc., fashioned a powerful (and powerfully positive) allure, stamping a lasting impression on a generation of ponytailed Saturday morning superstars.
But do not try to tell me the current generation of U.S. figures – Abby Wambach, Alex Mogran, Megan Rapinoe, etc. – aren’t at least close in creating that same kind of special connection with the current crop of young passers and trappers.
Don’t believe me? Look at the telling photo taken after Tuesday’s night’s workout at Jeld-Wen Field, where the U.S. women face Ireland tonight.
The photo was sent around via Twitter by Portland Timbers owner Merritt Paulson.
That’s Rapinoe singing autographs. As Paulson said on his Twitter message, the young lady’s reaction is “priceless stuff.” ‘Tis indeed.
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers
- Martino and Moyes Trapped in Can't-Win Situations
- CCL Watch: Cruz Azul Suffer First Loss
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad