Nov 28, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
We are all too well aware of the fabulous impact the inspirational “99ers” had on soccer and women’s sports at large a decade back. Mia Hamm, Julie Foudy, Brandi Chastain, etc., fashioned a powerful (and powerfully positive) allure, stamping a lasting impression on a generation of ponytailed Saturday morning superstars.
But do not try to tell me the current generation of U.S. figures – Abby Wambach, Alex Mogran, Megan Rapinoe, etc. – aren’t at least close in creating that same kind of special connection with the current crop of young passers and trappers.
Don’t believe me? Look at the telling photo taken after Tuesday’s night’s workout at Jeld-Wen Field, where the U.S. women face Ireland tonight.
The photo was sent around via Twitter by Portland Timbers owner Merritt Paulson.
That’s Rapinoe singing autographs. As Paulson said on his Twitter message, the young lady’s reaction is “priceless stuff.” ‘Tis indeed.
- Done Deal: Better late than never, Arsenal seals deal with Welbeck 0
- Americans Abroad wrap: Guzan stays unbeaten, Lichaj & Bedoya thrive 0
- Done Deal: Listing all the Deadline Day deals from the Premier League 4
- Southampton sign Toby Alderweireld, add $18 million winger Sadio Mane 0
- WATCH: Special ‘Transfer Deadline Day show’ live online, NBCSN 0
- Reports: Arsenal to fork over $26 mil for Manchester United’s Welbeck 4