Nov 28, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
What we’re thinking, what we’re watching, what’s coming on the blog today and the RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day). Setting up your day in soccer:
At this very moment in a fashionable Rome enoteca, five or so over-served Italian fellows are washing down a meal with some reasonably priced reds while talking about that magical goal in Dortmund, the Fabio Grosso hooking left-footer that took down host Germany in the 2006 World Cup semifinal. In my version, they are speaking of the goal in English for some reason. With thick Italian accents, of course.
Grosso turns 35 today. Here is the moment of his life, the goal that sent Italy to Berlin.
Big Important Stories of the Day:
MLS Goalkeeper of the Year and Newcomer of the Year will be announced. (Expect some consternation on that ‘keeper award. Not so much on the newcomer – but definitely on the goalkeeper.)
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day: Josh Wolff
*Ahead on the blog today:
Discussion of the aforementioned consternation – because Sporting Kansas City’s Jimmy Nielsen will probably be named Goalkeeper of the Year. And not everyone is convinced the SKC No. 1 did enough to deserve it.
Plus, we’ll be on the ground in L.A. for MLS Cup goings on. And Richard Farley will tell you what’s going on with the U.S. women’s team, in Portland to take on the fighting Irish. (Not those Fighting Irish, but Ireland’s women’s soccer team.)
What you should watch on TV today:
Your next chance to catch Robin van Persie, Paul Scholes, Wayne Rooney and the rest of the illustrious Red Devils happens at 2:55 p.m. ET when Manchester United hosts West Ham on ESPN2.
* Always subject to change; you know how it is
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw 9
- How well did Major League Soccer’s format work in 2013? Few qualms with this year’s results 7
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Here’s how it’s going to work 1
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States 14
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three 11
- Meet the Premier League’s other U.S. international goalkeeper: Cody Cropper 5
- Premier League Preview: Manchester United v. Everton 1
- Debunking the myth of Real Salt Lake, Sporting Kansas City as bitter rivals 2
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (16)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)