Nov 28, 2012, 1:28 PM EDT
Last night’s U.S. Women’s National Team open practice at Jeld-Wen Field turned into a small double-edged sword. On one side (a side that far overshadowed the other) you have the reaction of the fans, hundreds of Portlanders — mostly kids — getting an opportunity to see and interact with their heroes. That just can’t be replicated on game day.
Even after the team took their introductory applause, fans spent the next 90 minutes calling for their favorite players but were unable to draw their attention away from training. After the hour session, those calls reached a new pitch as the likes of Abby Wambach, Alex Morgan, Hope Solo and Megan Rapinoe spent time among the crowd.
The other side of that sword: It was a very cold night in Portland. The sharp breeze at the floor of a mostly empty Jeld-Wen had players resorting to caps, gloves, and long sleeves. Five-on-five drills were played at their normal intensity, a scary thought for goalkeepers asked to stop 18-yard blasts from Tobin Heath. When Solo blocked a shot off her upper-right shoulder early on, we saw the effects of the cold Portland evening.
Players were also made available after practice to give their thoughts on the evening, tour, Portland, and their approach to Wednesday’s match.
- What a photo: Lazio plays to near-empty Stadio Olimpico as fans protest club president 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 1
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 5
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear