Nov 29, 2012, 4:49 PM EDT
CARSON, Calif. – It can be easy to dismiss David Beckham as a “brand,” as some sexy-but-possibly-soulless force of marketing nature. But in personal interaction, the man really does have an elegance, charm and charisma, even in a larger group setting.
And the man has a sense of humor, too. Clearly.
At one point during Thursday’s press conference at the Home Depot Center, a reporters’ cell phone went off on the podium. (It was there with a bunch of other phones, placed for its dual capacity as a voice recorder.)
Beckham got big laughs when he took on a sheepish grin and asked, “Should I answer it?”
Immediately, everyone had the image of somebody’s pal or mom or whatever calling – and being shocked to hear David Beckham pick up.
Then even bigger laughs when set the phone back on the table with a giggle.
“It’s not a Samsung. Sorry I can’t.”
- Sepp Blatter claims French and German presidents influenced World Cup voters 0
- United States, Japan meet in Women’s World Cup final with high hopes back home 1
- Krieger credits Ellis, communication for United States’ defensive success 2
- Chile 0-0 (4-1 PKs) Argentina: Chile’s first Copa America title in 99-year history (video) 2
- Lloyd, Brian prove crucial to United States’ turnaround at Women’s World Cup 2
- Report: Robin van Persie agrees to personal terms with Fenerbahce 4