Nov 29, 2012, 4:49 PM EDT
CARSON, Calif. – It can be easy to dismiss David Beckham as a “brand,” as some sexy-but-possibly-soulless force of marketing nature. But in personal interaction, the man really does have an elegance, charm and charisma, even in a larger group setting.
And the man has a sense of humor, too. Clearly.
At one point during Thursday’s press conference at the Home Depot Center, a reporters’ cell phone went off on the podium. (It was there with a bunch of other phones, placed for its dual capacity as a voice recorder.)
Beckham got big laughs when he took on a sheepish grin and asked, “Should I answer it?”
Immediately, everyone had the image of somebody’s pal or mom or whatever calling – and being shocked to hear David Beckham pick up.
Then even bigger laughs when set the phone back on the table with a giggle.
“It’s not a Samsung. Sorry I can’t.”
- Premier League friendly roundup: Southampton draws, Stoke swallowed 0
- Jose Mourinho says “best team lost,” attacks Arsenal’s defensive tactics, as Chelsea beaten at their own game 5
- Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho fail to shake hands, as Gunners boss finally prevails 1
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s Community Shield win vs. Chelsea 0
- Arsenal 1-0 Chelsea: Oxlade-Chamberlain strike wins Gunners FA Community Shield 0
- Report: Manchester United, PSG agree to $70 million fee for Angel di Maria 3