Nov 29, 2012, 4:49 PM EDT
CARSON, Calif. – It can be easy to dismiss David Beckham as a “brand,” as some sexy-but-possibly-soulless force of marketing nature. But in personal interaction, the man really does have an elegance, charm and charisma, even in a larger group setting.
And the man has a sense of humor, too. Clearly.
At one point during Thursday’s press conference at the Home Depot Center, a reporters’ cell phone went off on the podium. (It was there with a bunch of other phones, placed for its dual capacity as a voice recorder.)
Beckham got big laughs when he took on a sheepish grin and asked, “Should I answer it?”
Immediately, everyone had the image of somebody’s pal or mom or whatever calling – and being shocked to hear David Beckham pick up.
Then even bigger laughs when set the phone back on the table with a giggle.
“It’s not a Samsung. Sorry I can’t.”
- FIFA ethics committee bans 11 current, former officials from all football-related activities 3
- UEFA calls for postponement of FIFA presidential election, threatens to boycott congress 5
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter releases first statement since overnight arrests 11
- Three things we learned from the US Department of Justice news conference on the FIFA investigation 6
- FIFA presidential elections will go on Friday despite arrests 6
- FBI, US Department of Justice issues damning statement on FIFA, details corruption investigation 8