David Beckham clearly has a sense of humor

Nov 29, 2012, 4:49 PM EDT

Beckham-Nov. 29

CARSON, Calif. – It can be easy to dismiss David Beckham as a “brand,” as some sexy-but-possibly-soulless force of marketing nature. But in personal interaction, the man really does have an elegance, charm and charisma, even in a larger group setting.

And the man has a sense of humor, too. Clearly.

At one point during Thursday’s press conference at the Home Depot Center, a reporters’ cell phone went off on the podium. (It was there with a bunch of other phones, placed for its dual capacity as a voice recorder.)

Beckham got big laughs when he took on a sheepish grin and asked, “Should I answer it?”

Immediately, everyone had the image of somebody’s pal or mom or whatever calling – and being shocked to hear David Beckham pick up.

Then even bigger laughs when set the phone back on the table with a giggle.

“It’s not a Samsung. Sorry I can’t.”

1. drchale - Nov 29, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Correction: David Beckham has a deal with Samsung. He said, “It’s NOT a Samsung. Sorry I can’t.”

2. dfstell - Nov 29, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I always find it funny there has to be this almost defense of how he seems to be a mostly decent and charismatic guy. There are plenty of good looking soccer players in the world…..very few have his level of fame, so he has to be doing something else.

I’m not complaining that we have stories like this one….most that we live in a world where it merits reporting because some people are *shocked* to hear that he isn’t a total d-bag.

• Steve Davis - Nov 29, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I think I get what you’re saying. Really though, my point is that he’s not just a pretty face. It’s an attempt to explain some of his success, that the Beckham charm and charisma is genuine. And that counts for … something, I suppose.

3. donjuego - Nov 29, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Your right, he is more than a pretty face:
    – He has world class vision and a tremendous passer with a fast soccer mind — a player who could hit passes that no one else in the world could; and
    – He is a whinny petulant crybaby on the field that has been ridiculously protected by MLS and MLS refs in a way that is shameful and discredits the league.

4. BigBeachBall - Nov 30, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Still laughing…. Cant hold back the tears…

5. jag8r904 - Nov 30, 2012 at 9:45 AM

If you didn’t know he had a sense of humor, then obviously you haven’t seen the Ali G interview. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDb_Gd_fBXo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

PST Extra: Race for the PL title