Nov 29, 2012, 4:49 PM EDT
CARSON, Calif. – It can be easy to dismiss David Beckham as a “brand,” as some sexy-but-possibly-soulless force of marketing nature. But in personal interaction, the man really does have an elegance, charm and charisma, even in a larger group setting.
And the man has a sense of humor, too. Clearly.
At one point during Thursday’s press conference at the Home Depot Center, a reporters’ cell phone went off on the podium. (It was there with a bunch of other phones, placed for its dual capacity as a voice recorder.)
Beckham got big laughs when he took on a sheepish grin and asked, “Should I answer it?”
Immediately, everyone had the image of somebody’s pal or mom or whatever calling – and being shocked to hear David Beckham pick up.
Then even bigger laughs when set the phone back on the table with a giggle.
“It’s not a Samsung. Sorry I can’t.”
- Tuesday’s Top 5 Champions League Goals: Which was the best? 0
- A Klinsmann Casualty? Juan Agudelo passed on by Wolverhampton 3
- Steven Gerrard admits he denied move to Real Madrid and that it may haunt him in the future 1
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Bayern, Chelsea, Shakhtar go crazy on 40-goal night 0
- Chelsea 6-0 Maribor: Hazard brace keeps Blues atop Group G 0
- AS Roma 1-7 Bayern Munich: Sublime Bayern smash Roma to go five points clear in Group E 1