Nov 29, 2012, 9:55 AM EST
ProSoccerTalk’s Richard Farley was in Portland last night to tell you about the United States’ romp-and-stomp in women’s soccer against overmatched Ireland.
He hit all the critical points, the improving U.S. defense, the obligatory concern about the midfield, discussion of rising star Tobin Heath’s role, etc.
Of course, the real buzz was Alex Morgan, who generally scores two goals before she gets her breakfast cereal in the morning. Truly, the young lady’s numbers just keep climbing extraordinarily.
Morgan’s second-career hat trick gives her 27 goals for the calendar year; that’s just the third time in team history a player has passed 25 over one year. Abby Wambach hit for 31 in 2004, while Michelle Akers scored a remarkable 39 in 1991.
Here, from U.S. Soccer, are all three Morgan goals. (Sorry, but they are available currently only individually.)
- Now that it’s happening, MLS’s 20th season is sure to be the best one yet 2
- 2015 MLS season preview: Real Salt Lake 0
- 2015 MLS season preview: LA Galaxy 1
- 2015 MLS season preview: Portland Timbers 0
- PST predicts Major League Soccer’s 2015 standings; Do you agree? 8
- Premier League Playback: With 10 games to go, here’s how things stand 3