Nov 30, 2012, 9:48 AM EST
CARSON, Calif. – I tried hard last night to find a person remotely connected with MLS who would add even a spoonful of credible weight to the Tampa stadium story that we told you about yesterday.
I had expressed skepticism that it would happen, and even more that a Major League Soccer franchise would ever develop out of it.
Turns out, I wasn’t skeptical enough.
U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati had not even heard of the project.
MLS vice president for communications Dan Courtemanche said commissioner Don Garber heard about it the same time as the rest of us – when news stories began appearing.
That doesn’t necessarily mean there aren’t serious players with serious money to spend. It just means they aren’t moving in the right kind of circles here, and that doesn’t portent well for their chances of completing the MLS circle here.
Best guess: this $400 million, 28,000-seat project goes the way of similar stadium proposals that come and go periodically: they hit the water with a substantial news splash, but then just drift harmlessly out to sea, never to be heard from again.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Like other notable quality American outfielders (e.g. Clint Dempsey), Cameron is a late-developer who has really evolved.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:38 PM EST
D.C. United upgraded half their defense on Thursday. But what are they getting for the money?
Dec 12, 2013, 3:38 PM EST
We saw this coming. Portland traded up on Thursday to snare the former Zip.
Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018
Dec 12, 2013, 3:01 PM EST
Klinsmann’s signed up for another cycle, the U.S. hoping to extend its evolution beyond Brazil.
Dec 12, 2013, 2:01 PM EST
This marks the first time a Bundesliga club has played in the league’s summer showcase.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:05 PM EST
Two big questions this weekend: 1) Can Spurs stop Luis Suarez? and
2) Does City’s midfield rival that of Arsenal?
Dec 12, 2013, 10:26 AM EST
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, Young says, but “for me, the referees have made decisions and that’s it.”
Dec 12, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
Would Moyes really loan Zaha to a competitor like Everton or Newcastle?
Dec 12, 2013, 8:01 AM EST
When looking back at the biggest UK Twitter “surges” of 2013 there is one topic that dominates the landscape: footy.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:46 PM EST
You can’t been drawn against a team from your own federation – a rule that will hurt Arsenal, Manchester City on Monday.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 PM EST
The defenses need to get better in both places. A lot better:
No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11
Dec 11, 2013, 9:23 PM EST
A little social media brush fire over the new Miami expansion outfit was promptly, mercifully extinguished:
Dec 11, 2013, 8:33 PM EST
Highlights from all Wednesday’s games, which saw Barça’s newest start break out, Italy’s reigning champions eliminated.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:46 PM EST
Once you narrow the list to 15 or so, it’s nearly impossible to decide from there:
Dec 11, 2013, 6:59 PM EST
That assumes, of course, that the former U.S. manager was ever a serious candidate:
Dec 11, 2013, 6:11 PM EST
Tough draws await Arsenal, Manchester City in the knockout round.
Dec 11, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Demba Ba’s 10th minute goal was enough to give Chelsea Group E.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:47 PM EST
Brazilian star’s hat trick helps Barcelona rout Celtic, claim first in Group H.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:43 PM EST
One good club from Group F was bound to be odd team out on Wednesday as Champions League group play finished with a high-wire tension.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:32 PM EST
There’s more to “coaching discussions” right now in domestic soccer than those four MLS openings:
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 3
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 2
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 3
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint