Dec 1, 2012, 11:40 AM EDT
CARSON, Calif. – A while back, a story floated around that none other than Jurgen Klinsmann was responsible for the Home Depot Center’s roof.
Turns out, it’s absolutely true. So said the U.S. national team boss Friday as Klinsmann had a few journalist over to breakfast at a nearby hotel. During most of the conversation, rain poured heavily outside the window.
Back in the early part of the last decade, Klinsmann was a globally known figure but more or less just another retired professional athlete living in Orange County, just south of L.A. The soccer movers and shakers knew him, of course, and Anschutz Entertainment Group president Tim Leiweke is certainly one of those.
As AEG developed plans for the Home Depot Center – the second major U.S. facility constructed just for soccer – Klinsmann urged Leiweke to put a roof over the thing.
“I told him, ‘Go to Spurs ground and see for yourself,’ and he did. I told him, ‘You need a roof!’ ”
That roof, by the way, added about $15 million to construction costs.
So, you should probably thank Leiweke, too.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
PST’s caught exclusively with Ralph Krueger, as the former NHL coach takes up the lead role at Premier League side Southampton:
Loic Remy wants Champions League club, says rape allegations kept him from bigger club than Newcastle
Mar 12, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
“That case cooled down a lot of clubs and I was lucky to come to Newcastle, a very great club that I thank,” Remy said.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Wambach’s goal total now stands at 167 for her country.
Mar 12, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
Gregarious ex-player mourned across US soccer after passing away from cancer early Wednesday.
Russian politicians want US kicked out of World Cup because US politicians want Russia kicked out of World Cup
Mar 12, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
I’m sure Blatter is going to spend loads of time with the letters sent to him by US and Russian lawmakers.
Mar 12, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
It’s hard to imagine another player at United seizing the captaincy, but how about England?
Mar 12, 2014, 9:13 AM EDT
“The biggest way you can tell that right off the bat is training,” Parkhurst said.
Wambach scores twice as US women end disappointing Algarve Cup with win over North Korea, 7th place finish
Mar 12, 2014, 8:53 AM EDT
With the victory, the U.S. avoided going winless in four consecutive games for the first time since 2001.
Mar 12, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT
PST’s own Joe Prince-Wright is slated for an exclusive interview with Krueger later this morning, so keep it tuned here.
Mar 12, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
“If you lose, don’t start complaining about silly things,” Robben said.
Mar 12, 2014, 7:28 AM EDT
Champions League injury forced German midfielder off at halftime, will have Ozil out of lineup.
Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic
Mar 12, 2014, 6:09 AM EDT
Barcelona carry a two-goal lead into Wednesday’s visit from City, while PSG’s four-goal edge has Laurent Blanc set to rest his stars.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT
A 95th minute goal from Alan Gordon gives San Jose momentum ahead of next week’s second leg.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:54 PM EDT
Last year’s MLS Cup qualifiers start the season 1-2 in our rankings.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:43 PM EDT
Gunners prospect could soon be locked into an international career with Germany.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:56 PM EDT
Champions League was Milan’s last battle. Now, two months of auditions for next year’s team begin, with Seedorf decide who will return for the Rossoneri’s restart.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:06 PM EDT
Over the course of two legs, Arsenal was outshot 41-15 and had only 27 percent of the ball.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT
Legacy didn’t matter, Costa is ready for your love, and Atlético improved but imperfect.
Mar 11, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT
Another sickening blow for Holden, who suffers knee ligament damage after latest comeback game goes horribly wrong:
Mar 11, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
With the Gunners falling at the first UCL knockout hurdle once again, what did we learn this time?
- Southampton’s new Canadian Chairman chats growth in North America, NHL roots, Saints’ future 0
- American soccer mourns the death of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, 32 0
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 0
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 2
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- Arsenal's $64m Midfielder Strikes Out Again
- CR7 is a Superstar Both on and Off the Pitch
- Pareja Could Have Decision Looming at D-Mid
- Quakes Hit 94th Minute Goal to Tie Toluca in CONCACAF CL
- For the Red Bulls, Mistakes are Better Early Than Late
- If Man City Ever Stood a Chance, it’s Right Now
- Strootman Loss Detrimental to Roma
- Rooney Reveals Desire to Captain United and England
- Thistle Manager Sent Off While Playing For His Team's Under-20s
- Is CONCACAF Champions League Format Working Against MLS?